British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-08, 06:11 PM

Default K.O.S.B staybrite badge

Alan,
There was a short transitional period between the two badges according to the arsse pedia ( The Army Rumour Service ) www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/wrac.
They state -
"The Army Board decided that on the 1st October 1990 the W.R.A.C regular Officers permanently employed with other Corps should be transferred to to these Corps.The servicewomen also employed by these Corpsfollowed 1 year later.
In December 1990 the Army Board announced the Adjutant General Corps. This Corps formed up on 6th April 1992 through the almalgamation of the R.A.P.C, R.A.EC, R.M.P, all staff clerks & the remainder of the W.R,A.C".
The servicewomen I saw were not Cadets or T.A they were preparing for an Op Banner tour.Although I know they wore a K.O.S.B bonnet badge in their T.O.S for the life of me I can't remember what size the cap badge was!
Old 07-12-08, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Stranger things have happened but why make a half size one for girls when the bonnets were the same size is beyond me. Personally I would like a photo of it in use before spending any money on the say so of a dealer with a vested interest.

The key thing about the Army board direction is that it was for Corps personnel. KOSB were not a Corps and would be insulted if you told them that! Any women serving with an Infantry Bn were actually part of a Corps attached to the Bn whether that be WRAC or another Corps. Any ex-WRAC soldier would be wearing the Corps badge (RAPC/RCT and then AGC) once the WRAC demised and not the Infantry badge.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 08-12-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-12-08, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

I asked a friend of mine about his. He was a Pl Comd with the KOSB from 1990 and is still serving. He tells me that there were no women in the Bn then and he clearly remembers when the first ones arrived in 1992 when they got their first AGC clerks. His memory is quite clear as to this due to the problems that the first female soldiers caused when they arrived in what had been a male only Bn. They had had the odd WRAC Asst Adjt before but not ORs. Prior to that his Coy clerks were all ex-rfn and male. He never saw any women wearing a KOSB beret badge.

Alan
Old 22-12-08, 02:49 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking Leicestershire & Derbyshire (Prince Albert's Own Yeomanry)

Hi

I have just looked at the pictures under the yeomanry section from the first post in this thread. I notice that there is an all silver LDY AA badge? Is this a genuine badge as i have never seen an all silver version?

I am an ex LDY Squadron yeoman and I have also talked to original members from the "regiment" and they dont remember an all silver badge either.

best regards
Griff M-J
Old 22-12-08, 07:15 PM

Thanks Griff,

It's probably a factory mistake or an unfinished item. Looking at the slider it looks like either a Firmin or Gaunt. I would guess at Firmin.

I have an all gold Parachute and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Shurley shome mishtak...

Regards

Chris
Old 12-01-09, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

http://picasaweb.google.com/hagwalth...86789730504866

Chris,

I also have a maker's variation (more modern and made in the last couple of years) where there is no gold spine to the feathers and only the crown is gold. I suspect that they were an error and sold off by the MOD accordingly. I bought it with one of the last pattern (circa 2005) silver burnished RGJ cap badges and the seller had bought them as a job lot from MOD disposals. As the new Royal Welch Regt has kept the old RRW badge (but with the RWF hackle), there is no reason for the MOD to sell them off unless they are a maker's error. Obviously the old RGJ badge is no longer needed so they went for disposal.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120020.jpg (49.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 12-01-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
http://picasaweb.google.com/hagwalth...86789730504866

Chris,

I also have a maker's variation (more modern and made in the last couple of years) where there is no gold spine to the feathers and only the crown is gold. I suspect that they were an error and sold off by the MOD accordingly. I bought it with one of the last pattern (circa 2005) silver burnished RGJ cap badges and the seller had bought them as a job lot from MOD disposals. As the new Royal Welch Regt has kept the old RRW badge (but with the RWF hackle), there is no reason for the MOD to sell them off unless they are a maker's error. Obviously the old RGJ badge is no longer needed so they went for disposal.

Alan
Hi Alan,
I have a version of the RRW with a 'seeded ' scroll as a variation and also one all gold (also seeded scroll). All gold must clearly makers error though?
Old 12-01-09, 07:15 PM

Thanks Guys,

I think there a lot of mistakes about and I have a gem of a Cavalry badge to post as soon as I get an hour or so togethere with a few other badges to fit some spaces from a new member to the forum.

I will list all known mistakes in my book whe I get onto the classification of these item but of course, this list will be had to complete as there must be a lot of mistakes out there.

Regards

Chris
Old 12-01-09, 07:18 PM

Just to inform.

The web pages are just sorted into unit classification order of Cavalry, Infantry, Yeomanry etc.

There currently is no classification for Authorised Issues, Unofficial Commissions, Mistakes, Trial Items etc.

This will all come later.

Regards

Chris
Old 12-01-09, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Alan,
I have a version of the RRW with a 'seeded ' scroll as a variation and also one all gold (also seeded scroll). All gold must clearly makers error though?
All gold is a maker's error as far as I am aware. they should eb silvered then the gold added but clearly someone diped them in the gold first by mistake.

Alan
Old 15-01-09, 06:21 AM

Hi Guys,

Some more badges to take a look at:

11th Hussars (Thin Non Voided Firmin)
15th 19th Hussars (Colours Reversed)

Ayrshire Yeo AA (Large OF)

Royal Army Pay Corps AA (Gold)

East Yorkshire Regt AA (Timings)
Royal Irish Rangers AA (Gold Crown & Silver Scroll)
Royal Irish Rangers AA (Gold)(Gaunt Birmingham)

Ulster Defence Regt AA Blackened
HAC (Sgts)(Silver & Gold)(Gaunt London)

Bristol Uni AA (Wide Book Grove MFG B'ham)(Brass Slider)

St Dunstan's College CCF AA
Tonbridge School CCF AA

Looks like there is a large 'OF' variant of Ayrshire Yeo.

Some mistakes there too by the looks of it.

Regards

Chris
Old 19-01-09, 08:26 PM

Default Picassa WebPages

Great badges Chris,
Looks like you have discovered a few more a/a badges that we didn't know for sure existed!!
Regards
ukbrits
Old 21-01-09, 06:12 AM

Hi Guys,

I have deleted:

East Yorkshire Regt AA (Timings)

as in my opinion this is a fake item with a London Button & Badge Co Ltd slider marked HW. TIMINGS LTD B'HAM made post 1973.

The East Yorkshire Regiment completed active service in 1958.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-02-09, 07:24 AM

Hi Guys,

I have deleted:

GB12 - Queens Gurkha Signals

as the item placed was a post anodised item.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-02-09, 09:37 AM

Hi Chrisr,

Should we be including them as I did set the exercise up for the British Army and I don't really want to expand it too much at this stage.

Good to see one not marked JR GAUNT B'HAM which would be post 1973.

Regards

Chris

Tags
anodised, staybrite