British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-24, 01:36 AM

Default SAS French Sqn and Sand Beret

As I’m not SAS-savvy, I’d appreciate opinions from the various experts on this forum.
A friend of mine got a beret from the French Airborne Museum in Pau, France. It was donated a few decades ago by a 2 SAS veteran. From the look of it, I would say it is French and modern, probably used as a replacement for attending celebrations, something quite common with veterans.
SAS French Beret Front.jpg SAS French Beret Liner.jpg
I’d like your views on the badge itself and some comment on the sand colour. My friend told me that a French Sqn attached to 2 SAS was formed in Algeria in April 1943 under the command of Captain Lee-Couraud. It looks like they were the only French SAS to wear a sand beret.

Incidentally it seems some of these French SAS participated in a fascinating raid in Italy that is the subject of a recent book by Damien Lewis (see the link for details https://www.forces.net/services/spec...-raid-revealed)
Although the story is quite revealing, I don’t share the author’s theory that the raid for liberating a concentration camp remained secret because it would have made Germany less likely to surrender by demonizing the Nazis. By Sept 1943, the Allied had make it clear that they would only accept unconditional surrender of the Axis powers.
Old 21-01-24, 06:26 PM

Definitely post war, veterans beret, not wartime.
Cheers steve
Old 22-01-24, 03:50 AM

Thanks Steve for the confirmation.
I understand you believe the badge is also post war. Any idea about the period?

Any comment on whether or not the French SAS wore sand berets prior to 1944?
Old 22-01-24, 10:42 PM

Sadly right or wrong but my gut feeling is the patch is copy. It's construction is very square, not fluid.I
Not one I would want to own.
Best wishes
Steve
Old 23-01-24, 03:38 PM

Much appreciated Steve.

Any other opinion or comment about sand berets with French SAS?
Many thanks!
Old 23-01-24, 04:24 PM

Hello tcrown,

As far as I can remember, I have never seen any picture of french SAS wearing sand berets.

Best regards .. Herve
Old 24-01-24, 01:58 PM

Default SAS Beret

Why is an Airborne museum parting with 'Donated' items!
Old 24-01-24, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantiaci View Post
Why is an Airborne museum parting with 'Donated' items!
The curator of the museum was convinced no French SAS ever wore sand berets. He accepted to trade the beret with a 1947/51 mint airborne uniform.
Maybe not a good bargain after all!

I'll try to do more research on the SAS French Sqn and post the results.
Old 24-01-24, 06:31 PM

Hi,

You can ask to Col Vigneron, what he thinks about this (possible ?) swap ...
https://museedesparachutistes.com/?page_id=86

I would be very interested in his answer ...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 25-01-24, 02:14 PM

Herve, this happened some 30 years ago...
Old 28-01-24, 05:31 PM

Default Account of the French Squadron with 1st & 2nd SAS

I did a bit of research on the SAS French Sqn and here are my findings.

The First Air Infantry Company, comprising some 50 men, 3 NCOs and 3 officers, commanded by Captain Georges Bergé, were assigned to the Meze base on the Damascus airfield in Oct 1941. They were moved to Kabrit, Egypt, for parachute training in early Jan 1942 and renamed 1e Compagnie Chasseurs Parachutistes.
By then, David Stirling’s L Detachment had already delivered successful raids and was authorized to expand on his SAS troops for a further 40 officers and men. Bergé’s contingent was a perfect choice, and it became the French Squadron (officially C Squadron) within the SAS. They participated in different raids against airfields in Cyrenaica in the Spring of 1942 like Martuba 3, Barcé, Derna Est, Derna Ouest, Berka 3.
During a raid in Crete in June, Captain Bergé and two others were captured. Bergé would be replaced by Lieutenant Augustin Jordan as the new CO. Attacking the German forces as they retreated into Tunisia, Jordan and his French Squadron would rush between Sfax and Gabes on Jan 21, 1943 followed by Stirling and his group of 5 jeeps. Stirling was captured two days after and Jordan also on Jan 27, while trying to rejoin allied troops in Tunisia.

NA674.jpg
French SAS Patrol in the Gabes Tozeur area Jan 1943, meeting a Tunisian Arab who served for 10 years in the French Army (source IWM NA674)

With Stirling gone, the SAS were reorganized under Paddy Mayne’s command. The remainders of the French Squadron were transferred to the newly formed 2 SAS under Bill Stirling’s command with new recruits, mainly ex legionnaires in Philippeville Algeria. The French were commanded by Captain Lee-Couraud. Fascinating character: Trained in the French Foreign Legion, and after a few months as a gangster in Marseille, Couraud joined the SOE French section in 1941. He was the only French to participate in the St Nazaire raid in March 1942 where he was wounded in both legs on board motorboat ML447.

The French Sqn took part in the landings at Taranto as the initial reconnaissance party (Sept 1943), raids on the enemy's rear in the east and west of Castellanetta and Andria, and at Termoli (Oct 1943) in liaison with the SRS (ex 1 SAS), reconnaissance operations at Cérignola and Lucéra, and raids to recover Allied and civil prisoners (https://www.forces.net/services/spec...-raid-revealed).
It had previously worked at Lampédusa and Pantelleria as part of Operation Snapdragon (May 1943).

Termoli with 2 SAS members.jpg
From Left to Right Maj E Scratchley and Capt Roy Farran with a detachment of A and HQ Sqn, 2 SAS after the capture of Termoli (Oct 1943). Sand berets can clearly be seen (source IWM E26182)

In total, the "French Squadron" participated in seventeen operations carried out by the 2 SAS.
The remainders of the French Sqn would leave Algeria for Scotland in April 1944 and would be re-assigned to the 3 SAS Jeeps Squadron under the command of Lt de Sablet He would be killed in action in Holland (April 1945).

Various CO of the SAS French Sqn.jpg
The various COs of the SAS French Sqn: From Left to Right Capt Bergé, Capt Jordan, Capt Lee-Couraud, Lt Saltet de Sablet d’Estieres (sources France-libre.net, saint-cyr.org, association-sas.chez-alice.fr)