British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-23, 06:11 AM

Default Military Medal “Gazetted 19/11/1917”

Funny old World! Introduced to a bloke about a year ago, just started to collect badges and having given him some, and since meeting up on a Sunday afternoon in the Pub to look at his recent pick ups he asked me if I might find out about his Grandfather’s Military Medal, he would like to know the HOW for what it was awarded?
His Grandfather served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers 7/8th - 1st & 9th then went on to serve in the Seaforth Highlander’s. My Grandfather served in the 9th Btn. and died of Wounds 4th July 1916 (Somme), his 2 Brothers continued John died August/September 1916 and Francis bowing out as Company Sergeant Major 1919, so Francis would have known this Military Medal Winner as would have been on a draft to replenish the Battalion to full strength, so a small World when 100 plus years he asks me to help find any Information on the WHY? he was awarded the M.M. hopefully with your help we could do this? Many thanks will attach what he has given me. It could be that this is all that is available but could there be an actual record of it in a Newspaper where they listed such Gazettes?
Old 24-04-23, 06:47 AM

Billy,
The award of his MM will be listed in the London Gazette, hence the reference to “gazetted”. The LG is still going and is free to search their records online. Type in his name and a date & you should find it. You may have to go a couple of issues after the date of the Award. It is unlikely that it will mention the reason for the Award however.
Kevin
Old 24-04-23, 07:01 AM

If anyone has a copy of Howard Williamson's book on WWI medals, it gives the gazette dates for awards for various actions, unfortunately I don't have access to mine right now.
Old 24-04-23, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Billy,
The award of his MM will be listed in the London Gazette, hence the reference to “gazetted”. The LG is still going and is free to search their records online. Type in his name and a date & you should find it. You may have to go a couple of issues after the date of the Award. It is unlikely that it will mention the reason for the Award however.
Kevin
The Gazette just gives basic details :

Quote:
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 NOVEMBER, 1917. 11971

24049 Pte W. Robinson, R. Irish Fus. (Ballyclare).
What is interesting is that 24 members of the Royal Irish Fusiliers were listed as being awarded the M.M. on the same date.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...comment=347575

Poppy and British Legion Wanted