British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-23, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercorps View Post
Hello Tim, Thank you for your help, there are no jewels on mine like you say, but looking at your photo of the genuine one, mine has a lot better patina, and quality. Gerwyn.

Added, I can just make out of what's left of the goats coat using a magnifying glass, which going by the chain the badge has been highly polished.

Patina is not a way to justify a badge. The goatee on the antelope is the dead give away between a fake and genuine Warks Pals. As for the the Middlesex PWP, it’s the angle of the upper scroll tips, genuine ones are more horizontal. The Firmin mark doesn’t mean jack shit I’m afraid, it’s also on the Middlesex footballers badge which never even existed.
Old 17-04-23, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

In my experience Firmin did not mark their other ranks badges until decades after WW1 had ended.

Last edited by Alan O; 17-04-23 at 05:54 PM.
Old 17-04-23, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercorps View Post
Hello Luke. It was picked up in the 80s, please can you be more constructive with your information. Gerwyn.
As you asked so nicely.

I told you in post #29 that the PWPB Firmin marked badges are known fakes and posted two useful linked threads… one of which you even replied on.

You’ve then shown another PWPB badge marked Firmin… . See above & post #29.

There is only one genuine die for the PWPB badges with distinctive features Keith describes.

If you search ‘Public Works’ in the forum search engine you’ll find many useful threads inc. the below which shows a genuine but broken PWPB OSD collar / cap badge that matches the one in Bob Quested’s Crown Imperial article.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=86913
Old 18-04-23, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Dave Moore has slightly better shots of it in his album. It comes with watertight provenance, having been issued to his grandfather.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=46975

Regards,

JT

Firmin documents are in B'ham Museum and in Bham Library - useful stuff
and
Firmin documents are in Westminter (London) ! [including police badges etc)
Old 19-04-23, 04:30 AM

Default Pals

Hello Gerwyn

I think the bottom line is that your badges are wronguns. No amount of patina or fake makers marks is going to change the fact. You’ve had some very learned people give you some very constructive feedback.

I see fake badges and medals sold every day.