British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-14, 11:05 AM

Default 1939-1945 Star

Hello there.
I’ve just found My Wife’s’ Fathers 39-45 Star after thinking it was lost after our wedding 41 years ago. Trouble is I don’t recognise the ribbon. It’s not the same as my Dad’s 39-45 Star.
Can anyone shed any light on to the problem please?
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medal.JPG (44.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-04-14, 11:19 AM

Isnt that a Military medal ribbon??

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 12-04-14, 11:19 AM

I believe that's the ribbon for the France & Germany Star (awarded for operational service in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, & Germany from 6th June 1944 to 8th May 1945), rather than the 1939-1945 Star.

Kevin
Old 12-04-14, 11:25 AM

Thanks Fellas, I thought that was the ribbon for the France & Germany Star too but it's on the 39-45 Star. It just doesn't make sense. Unfortunately my Wife doesn't know a lot about her fathers war service except he was in the Tank regiment in Africa. She does not have his regimental number or anything.
Old 12-04-14, 11:56 AM

Medals & Ribbons listed here

http://www.petergh.f2s.com/medals.htm

Medals & Ribbons were issued separately in individual boxes, probably at some time ribbons were mixed up, which suggests that perhaps a France & Germany Star was issued as well, meaning that so was a War Medal 1939-1945 - If the memory of her father serving in Africa is correct, add the Africa Star

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 12-04-14, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike
Strangely enough I have just checked out the site that you listed. It’s very useful. Yes I think that must have been the case that the ribbons & medals were mixed up. Unfortunately we have one of those stupid family situations where my Wife’s brother has a lot of this information but does not seem keen to share it. He probably has the France & Germany Star with the ’39 ribbon on it.
Thanks to all.
Ian
Old 12-04-14, 12:26 PM

Mowatt be aware that the France & Germany star could be issued without the prior issue of the 1939-45 star, this would happen later in the war if the recipient entered the theatre less than 6 months before end of war.

Qualifying period for 1939-45 star was 6 months, F&G star one day in the theatre.

RCN Bryan