British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-21, 03:46 PM

Default Lozenge Buttons - Crowns and Thistles

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me identify whether these buttons are military and if so what regiment. The larger buttons (with the crown) have the makers name of Lumsden & Co. Aberdeen. Thanks for any help given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttons.JPG (88.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-01-21, 04:55 PM

Probably Pipers buttons.
Old 02-01-21, 06:31 PM

Thanks XIII, amazing what difference a single word makes - having googled again with the addition of PIPERS, I can see several promising directions (maybe Scots Guards).

However, as the Crown button doesn't seem to match that, I'm now thinking maybe they aren't part of the same set (they are a different shape button).

Anyone got any idea who this Crown relates to - it doesn't seem to match the usual suspects? I think the Button Maker was operating during reign of Victoria and probably Edward VII ?

Thanks again to anyone who can shed more light.
Old 02-01-21, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Probably Pipers buttons.
That crown appears to be along the lines of the Guelphic crown, (though not as ornate) seen on military buttons up untill 1910. DJ.
Old 02-01-21, 08:25 PM

Wouldn’t it more likely represent the crown now held in The Honours of Scotland (Scotland’s Crown Jewels) which was made for James V of Scotland and then worn by joint monarchs of both countries until unification with England in 1707.
Cheers
Mark
Old 02-01-21, 08:58 PM

Default Lumsden's of Aberdeen

Hi, There's a mention of Lumsden's of Aberdeen in this link, maker of military and civilian highland wear.

https://www.lyonandturnbull.com/auct...ot=140268&sd=1

regards John
Old 03-01-21, 10:06 AM

Thanks Artynut, that looks like a good match for the style of Crown and a great place to start.
Old 03-01-21, 10:16 AM

Thanks Dubaiguy, that would be good if it panned out as Lumsden's were Scottish and I was hopeful of a better Scottish connection. However, the crown in The Honours of Scotland only has four Arches, so I don't think it would be depicted in the way it is on my buttons. I must say it does appear more like the Guelphic crown, suggested by Artynut.

Further investigation is needed but I'd still appreciate anyone's else's thoughts - particularly if anyone actually recognises it and can give a definitive identification.

Thanks again to everyone for looking.
Old 03-01-21, 10:21 AM

Thanks Cavalryman, I had found that link before but not sure that it leads me anywhere else - although the connection to Robb is interesting - he was quite an important Silversmith locally.
Old 04-01-21, 09:36 AM

I used to wear a Prince Charlie jacket and kilt for promotions I used to do (don't ask, but you can pay anyone to do anything....)with buttons identical to that on the right.

They had a silly ring to the back to hold them on the jacket and heavens knows how many are scattered round the country!