British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-20, 12:13 PM

Default Loyal Suffolk Hussars.

Hi All,
I got a Loyal Suffolk Hussar cap badge from another forum member recently and I've been looking for another one to go with it, I've looked at lots of them and I finally selected one that I found on eBay. It didn't come from a dealer and I did like the story that came with it, is it a good one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1890.jpg (54.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1894.jpg (60.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1895.jpg (61.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1891.jpg (44.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1892.jpg (45.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1893.jpg (43.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 24-12-20, 06:48 PM

No comment on my LSH badge, so far, I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one. Anyhow, I am also curious about the LSH collar dogs, brass dogs with the brass capbadges, certainly, but what do the white metal ones go with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0981.jpg (50.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0982.jpg (47.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 24-12-20, 07:08 PM

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=Loyal
Old 24-12-20, 08:28 PM

Many thanks, Luke, that's a no from you then.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 24-12-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 24-12-20, 11:49 PM

Indeed, it’s from the same die as the badge featured in the Martin Marsh catalogue.

As my motto goes - buy the badge, not the seller or their story.
Old 25-12-20, 08:03 AM

Well, I may have a bit of a problem here, because I can't really tell the difference between these LSH badges. I can spot the different numeral 3s, but the other minute differences are a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. I do want to have LSH badges in my collection, so I will just have to persevere, I guess. If I buy enough of them, perhaps, I'll get a right one in the end. The badge images I've attached, are of an officers gilt version, the seller is asking £150 for it, and I'm hoping that if necessary, I should be fairly safe with the likes of that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0977.jpg (66.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0978.jpg (60.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0979.jpg (38.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0980.jpg (88.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 25-12-20, 04:25 PM

Not wanting to waste Xmas Day entirely, I've managed to find another two LSH cap badges, and I'm hoping for a bit of better luck this time. I'm afraid that I can't post pics of them, and as it's been suggested that I don't use off centre and out of focus screen shots anymore, you will have to see them, when I see them. One is said to be Edwardian, with loops rather than a slider, so that'll be something a bit different, if the badge happens to be a good one. I got another T/Y/SUFFOLK shoulder title, as well, so I will have a pair of those, now, and I also got a pair of the white metal collar dogs that I asked about before, I'm still none the wiser about those, but they will make a nice addition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0982.jpg (47.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 25-12-20, 05:18 PM

Default Merry Christmas

Unfortunately the devil really is in the detail with all badges. In nearly all cases this is what separates the wheat from the chaff. Don’t give up.

If you adopt that approach you will waste hundreds even thousands of pounds in badge/militaria collecting. There are some badges where if you bought 100 over the space of a year from eBay and dealers all 100 would be fake. My advice is don’t do it as you will fall out of love with this hobby very quickly.

Re the officers LSH, I don’t collect officers badges but in my opinion £150 I is daylight robbery. I’d expect half that.

Loops = Victorian/Edwardian era does not apply to Yeomanry.

Yeomanry ordered their own badges and did not follow WO practice in this respect of stipulating sliders after 1903. Yeomanry badges were regularly looped up to, during and in a few cases after WW1.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone.
Old 25-12-20, 07:34 PM

Yes, many thanks, Luke, the Edwardian LSH badge with loops is how the dealer described it, I'm just a "newbie" at all this. I'll get all the badges that I need, one way or another, the law of averages dictates that some of the stuff these dealers sell, has got to be real, hopefully, the odd bit of it will come my way.
Old 25-12-20, 08:29 PM

The dealer doesn’t know what they’re talking about, he’s trying to sell you something and it being ‘Edwardian’ (even if he believes it) also no doubt means an extra £20 on the price.

Not true. The laws of averages are defined here by how many real ones are out there. Also from where certain dealers/sellers source their stock.

If you bought every Exeter VTC badge on a dealers site and eBay over the last 10 years you’d have thousands of badges but not own a single genuine one. So the law of averages here isn’t worth playing.

Granted the LSH is more common but when you have the tools and what you need in that thread to pick out a good one there’s no need to risk it or buy a single restrike or fake badge.

I’m afraid at present you’re a dealers or sellers dream, money to spend, not much knowledge and very eager to buy. My advice is hold fast.

I’ve bought 3 lovely genuine LSH badges in the last 6 weeks, a Gaunt marked badge, a Firmin one and another unmarked. There are good ones out there, you just have to get your eye in and study them closely compared to the fake and restrikes highlighted in the other thread.

This is a hobby where taking your time pays dividends. Rome wasn’t built in a day and nor was any decent badge collection.

Last edited by Luke H; 25-12-20 at 09:56 PM.
Old 26-12-20, 08:24 AM

Yes, all of your advice on the various aspects of collecting has been most gratefully received, Luke. However, your concerns over my wellbeing, in the cut and thrust of the badge world, are needless. I view it all as just a bit of a fun, really, and don't take any of it too seriously. It gives me something to think about, and therefore, I don't need to dwell too much on the onslaught of Covid 19 and global warming!