British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-21, 09:54 PM

Default Highland Cyclists T F badge

Hello Gents,

I'm new to the forum having been a collector of German items for 38 years. I have just developed an interest in British cap badges. Just now I can offer nothing to this forum due to me having no experience of British cap badges but I hope to learn and buy from you all.

Cap you take a look at this badge. Its what I believe to be a Scottish Highland Cyclists badge TF. Do you believe its original or a restrike? I can take it....I collected German badges in the beginning and was badly burned starting out.

Thank you in advance for your time and valued opinions.

Mike👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16098833785016480966603554217911.jpg (77.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-01-21, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum. You are in the right place to learn about Brit badges. Hopefully the mistakes will be few and far between.
Old 06-01-21, 12:24 AM

Default Reverse of badge.

Reverse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_214026.jpg (68.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-01-21, 12:29 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Bill,

I think its wise to invest in some books and join a forum like this. I have posted a reverse of the badge I posted pending approval. If its a bad badge its a lesson learned.

I welcome all opinions and i'm grateful for any knowledge you have to share.

Mike
Old 06-01-21, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

It's a copy. The reverse is so worn form over use and the voiding is not normally seen.
Old 06-01-21, 05:37 PM

Hi Mike,
Unfortunately the badge is a fake as mentioned, but you are in the right place to forge ahead. I always recommend searching this forum before purchasing a badge if possible. I have collected British badges on and off for over forty years now and am familiar with most, but always do my research here when contemplating a badge that I do not know.
Volunteer and Territorial badges are particularly difficult as they are desirable and have been faked to death. Most of what one sees are unfortunately bad.
Best to focus on the line regiments (or Corps) as they will usually be a little easier and if a bad one does come your way, the monetary outlay will not hurt as much. Special Forces, Para etc. are a mine field and I avoid most these, but that is just me.
Forum members frequently have badges on offer for great prices here and are of course genuine as well.
Cheers,
CB
Old 06-01-21, 06:20 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks CB and others....not a good start! 😂

Things can only get better! Its an attractive badge and I paid £60 for it but the seller sold it to me in good faith and I can get a refund.

Thanks again 👍

Mike