British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-21, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Odd 3rd Bn border badge on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384273863...53.m1438.l2649

I would like opinions on this. I think it's a fake with some brass strips added and some better than usual fretting.

The originals had a central motto that was often erased. Not a VB badge either but militia?
Old 22-07-21, 05:13 PM

Alan, the smooth reverse and footing lugs scream fake to me. Regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-07-21, 06:06 PM

Yes a repro with same common features mentioned as all the others from its stable but with the addition of E-W brass strips as an added touch to deceive.

There is a badge I consider genuine sans honours, it is from a different die. Note the feint ghosting of ARRYO DOS MOLINOS in the circlet’s seeding where the original die has been hobbed.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...1&d=1491335069

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...4&d=1491379628

Interestingly the brass strips are N-S on the genuine article.
Old 22-07-21, 06:39 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but when I see a seller on eBay listing a fake item I'll look at his other offerings looking for those fakes that I know. If I see the original fake and I concerned about buying from him, but do understand we all make mistakes. But if I start seeing several or even a second one I will usually steer clear unless he has something I really want and that I am sure of. There are too many good and reputable dealers and eBay sellers to source from to both with fakers - some are forum members. I also put high trust in the forum members and am always happy to source through them.

Just my 2 cents,

Terry
Old 23-07-21, 07:57 AM

Thank you Luke. I agree with you and have a similar badge complete with the very faint but nevertheless visible honours. I understand that this version has been authenticated by a knowlegeable, former museum curator. An example may exist in the museum. I was 'on the case' when Covid stopped play. Yes, NS copper retaining strip to the rear.
Old 23-07-21, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have seen examples with both the full motto in place and also with it erased. I am not sure whether it is the die that has been erased or it was done by the unit because they thought the motto was incorrect.
Old 23-07-21, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I have seen examples with both the full motto in place and also with it erased. I am not sure whether it is the die that has been erased or it was done by the unit because they thought the motto was incorrect.
I had a post 1902 one with the ‘Honi Soit….’ motto, that’s also the way they appear on the earlier crownless version.