British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-12, 11:15 AM

Question Tiger country

Hi all,

A Tiger badge that has me puzzled. It is GM on a short slider with no scroll or title. Measures 48x28mm. Fig 548 in Churchill is close as an unidentified Royal Tiger. Could it be a forage cap badge to the Leicestershire Regiment?

I do like the Tigers.

Assistance appreciated, cheers on Australia Day, Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lei.28.f.jpg (82.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg lei.28.r.jpg (75.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 26-01-12, 11:29 AM
LYPAO Boff

Pop it into some white vinegar for an hour or two then wash with washing up liquid and a toothbrush (then dry and buff with some kitchen towel)..... the result might be suprising.... like to see some pics front and back afterwards

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 26-01-12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 26-01-12, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

A Tiger badge that has me puzzled. It is GM on a short slider with no scroll or title. Measures 48x28mm. Fig 548 in Churchill is close as an unidentified Royal Tiger. Could it be a forage cap badge to the Leicestershire Regiment?

I do like the Tigers.

Assistance appreciated, cheers on Australia Day, Dean
Well Dean, as you will know it is definitely in the 'form' of a Leicester's Tiger. The slider/vertical shank does not look of a proprietary make to me. The TF battalions did for a period wear the badge without the HINDOOSTAN scroll and just the regimental title scroll, so the plain brass tiger was made in at least two forms, with both one and two scrolls that necessitated a separate tiger to which the white metal scrolls could be added. There was also of course the all brass 'economy' version but I believe that had both scrolls integral to the badge (?).

I think then that there are two possibilities, one is that it was a Mess Waiters badge made up locally in either India or Egypt. Another is that it was an obscure bandsman's pouch badge, but these were usually made with loops so that does not seem so likely. I believe then that the mess waiter is the most likely culprit. Unfortunately these badges, though common, were seldom recorded.
Old 26-01-12, 12:28 PM

Thanks Griff and Toby for quick replies,

I am one of those who doesn't clean my badges sorry Griff. I like the aged look I am afraid and only remove verdigris. My dear old Dad polished them as if he was still going on parade. Most of my "commons" not in albums have been polished.

Toby think you are spot on with theatre made mess waiters badge. the Tigers spent long years in India. I have the bandsmans pouch badge in my Leicesters album and yes these are lugged and much bigger. The short slider may suit headgear of mess waiter too as a thought.

The economy versions of regular and TF Leicesters from my album are all one piece badges with the scrolls integral to the badge.

Thanks for your guidance, so much to learn, cheers Dean.
Old 26-01-12, 12:36 PM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Dean

Shame about that..... you will see the badge properly after cleaning it..... the Gilt will look like its just come from the maker..... with the added benefit of being able to see any scars, marks or other modification "hints" in the back of the clean badge. I have resolved some questions by just giving the badge a good clean

I understand your preferance though

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-01-12, 12:47 PM

Hiya Griff,

My collecting friend Jumbo cleans his badges as you describe and they do come up a treat but yes just one of those things I guess. Think if I had persisted with the Recruiting Officer about joining the army but he was convinced the air force would be the making of me then I might be a cleaner of badges now too. (Dad had a turn when I suggested doing officer training in the air force so that was that). It was all Falklands inspired as thought I could transfer across in our hours of need.

Haven't seen any LY badges of note for you sorry too.

Cheers Dean.

Tags
leicestershire, leicestershire regiment