British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-20, 12:20 PM

Default Edwardian mess dress buttons?

I am familiar with all-metal mess dress buttons, e.g. this Grenadier Guards Geo VI button. The other vest button dates from the reign of Edward VII and has a mother of pearl base. Have such buttons been been used on military mess dress or were they for civilian use on waistcoats?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrenadierGuards_GeoVI.jpg (47.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GrenadierGuards_EdwVII.jpg (24.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-07-20, 09:38 PM

Hi Btns,

Not going to be much help I am afraid.

They are not really my collecting area, so this a bit of guesswork & assumptions.

I had assumed they were worn by Officer's on their Mess Dress Vests in 'moneyed' Regiments, based on the fact that I have only seen them for the Cavalry & Guards Regiments. But that doesn't mean there are not any similar Infantry/Corps Mother of Pearl buttons out there - just that I haven't seen them or paid attention to them

There is a similar Mother of Pearl button for the Coldstream Guards on eBay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Colds...QAAOSwfCZciCCI

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Ian

Last edited by 4966Ian; 16-07-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 15-07-20, 09:19 AM

This lot appeared recently at a local Auction House described as Miniature Military Cap Badges, I didn't get chance to examine them unfortunately but to my eyes they appear to be buttons of a similar construction.

https://www.windibank.co.uk/auction_...-AFA52CEC519D}

Simon.
Old 15-07-20, 02:46 PM

Very nice indeed.
As you say they look exactly the same materials & construction as the other buttons in the thread.
There are some very nice Mother of Pearl Infantry & Corps buttons there along with the Guards & Cavalry buttons.
I think that at £28 + costs for the lot - somebody did very well with those buttons.

Ian
Old 15-07-20, 02:49 PM

Ian,

Unfortunately I missed the Auction as I would have had a go at them at that price. I wonder if they are a Sales Sample or similar given the way they are displayed with the reference numbers to the reverse.

Simon.

Tags
button, mess dress, mother of pearl, waistcoat