British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-20, 08:33 PM

Default ATS Title - Good or Bad???

I am wanting to add one of these to my collection, and found this one, but can't tell. However, before pursuing it thought I'd ask the experts. What do you all think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-A-T-S...MAAOSwMWdemCuq

Thanks,

Terry
Old 29-04-20, 09:33 PM

It is my understanding that this title is for ARMY TECHNICAL SCHOOL and not the AUXILIARY TERRITORIAL SERVICE.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 29-04-20, 09:50 PM

Thanks Jerry. I have read of that issue, and from all I've read there doesn't seem to be a consensus. That being the case I'd like to have one in the collection just in case.

Terry
Old 30-04-20, 02:23 PM

I am pretty convinced it's a bad one. I looked at some that I feel are genuine and they are much nicer made and do not have the thready backing that this one has. So, I'll keep looking and wait until I find a good one.

Terry
Old 30-04-20, 05:46 PM

Default ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
It is my understanding that this title is for ARMY TECHNICAL SCHOOL and not the AUXILIARY TERRITORIAL SERVICE.

Jerry
Terry, my information came from a ATS enactment group and their historian.
I met them at a Military show in the UK called Military Odyssey which is a massive show over a weekend in August in the south of England.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 30-04-20, 06:52 PM

Jerry, I know there are thoughts both ways, and so just to be on the safe side I do want one.

This earlier thread where I asked about it has some interesting comments. Scroll down a bit to find that part of the thread.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...torial+service

Thanks for your thoughts and info, as all are always appreciated,

Terry
Old 01-05-20, 09:10 AM

Regardless of who wore it - and I don't think it is Army Technical School - it's a fake.

Jon
Old 01-05-20, 09:01 PM

Jon, I thought so too after really looking at it. Does not seem to have the crispness of a genuine one. I do want one so will just keep looking.

Have you any info on the validity of it being Auxiliary Territorial Service or Army Technical School?

Terry
Old 03-05-20, 05:26 AM

Just a few more thoughts on this Not been an 'Auxiliary Territorial Service' title.

I tend to look for empirical proof of an item before accepting it as valid, so have following two points to make.

1. I have never seen a period photograph of the title worn by any ATS member and there are hundreds, if not thousands of photographs out there.

2. A period (1945) article 'WOMEN'S WAR WORK WITH THE ARMY' by E.J.Martin for the Journal of the society of Army Historical Research does not show this title among the many pictures of women's services badges. I would have thought if it was a valid badge at the time the article was written in 1945, then it would have been shown.

Unfortunately I don't have any evidence for what it may be, but I am of the opinion that it is not 'Auxiliary Territorial Service'.

Regards
Steven
Old 03-05-20, 05:54 PM

Thank you Steven!

Some very good points. I study all pictures I can find of ATS ladies on the net and also have never seen that badge worn. I do have one picture I found of ATS badges that lists it as "An early badge and unofficial". I would probably still like one if I could find a"vintage" one, but not willing to pay much for it.

Terry
Old 04-05-20, 05:25 AM

Yes I know the picture you are referring to. It was part of a very big collection of badges that sold last year I believe. If you look through the whole collection you will find quite a few misidentified items, so based on this, the collection is not a sure fire way of identifying items.