British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-21, 08:44 AM

Default General Question.....

With being new to this site and only collecting replacement badges, patches for past family members to complete sets they would have had in ww2. I'm so surprised by the amount of fake items that are out there. You would think that as badges and patches were made for each service person you would have loads to go round. As I've noticed it's not just the rare ones but also the common ones get copied.
Old 23-04-21, 08:53 AM

Some are copied specifically for reenactors, so that they can be 'used and abused' without destroying genuine items. Others are frequently used as display items, for example, with signed prints framed behind glass, again so genuine items arent used. Generally these are easily spotted for what they are.
Old 23-04-21, 10:24 AM

You used to be able to buy fake badges by the gallon/half gallon ice cream tub with one price for the cavalry and anther cheaper price for inf/Corps and you paid by the lb taking your purchases out in carrier bags, some people where in and out of the fair literally within 5 minutes not being wanted to be seen.
Old 23-04-21, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Some are copied specifically for reenactors, so that they can be 'used and abused' without destroying genuine items. Others are frequently used as display items, for example, with signed prints framed behind glass, again so genuine items arent used. Generally these are easily spotted for what they are.
There are not that many re-enactors in the world. Fakes are sold because there's a big market for them and the profits are good.
Old 27-04-21, 01:17 PM

Honest graft means nothing to low-life con merchants, they would rather rob the blind than do a proper job. Those scumbags are the reason I gave up the hobby and I know many others who did as well.
Old 28-04-21, 08:42 AM

There are still very many original pieces to be had, moreover, when it comes down to basic cap badges from the Great War period, it really is not that hard to buy original examples given the quantities actually made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzestar View Post
With being new to this site and only collecting replacement badges, patches for past family members to complete sets they would have had in ww2. I'm so surprised by the amount of fake items that are out there. You would think that as badges and patches were made for each service person you would have loads to go round. As I've noticed it's not just the rare ones but also the common ones get copied.
Old 28-04-21, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
There are still very many original pieces to be had, moreover, when it comes down to basic cap badges from the Great War period, it really is not that hard to buy original examples given the quantities actually made.
Fully agree with this. A shame so many actually buy fakes when genuine badges are to be had.

CB