British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-23, 03:18 AM

Default Back from Australia

So, we were just in Aus. for 5 weeks and what a nice place. Firstly, militaria is REALLY skinny on the ground. I could hardly find anything. I had hints of that from some of you guys before we left. I found a bit of stuff in a few antique shops but it tended to be very generic, sometimes of poor quality and always very expensive. In the last week I lucked into a small surplus store called "Ironside"? in Fyshwick outside of Canberra. They had the usual new stuff but then some used army shirts, sweaters and various tunics in the back. Some medals, badges and patches and mess dress and patrol uniforms. Shirts were $20 each and I bought some just for the patches on them. I got a digger's hat finally. $55 which was a good deal better than the $275 I had previously found them at. Oh, it came with a dark blue puggree on it which I think I have found is for the Royal Australian Navy. I was surprised to find they have occasion to wear them.

QUESTION: Worn as a Navy hat, would they wear the Rising sun badge on the upturned brim as the army does along with their unit badge on the front of the puggree? Anyway, I think I would rather "do it up" as an army hat.

The People. We found Australians to be friendly, engaging and helpful at every turn. 4 times I heard young parents telling their kids to "get of of the man's way" as I was walking along. (no, I'm not 400 lbs.) I never hear that in Canada any more. They all wanted to chat about this or that. One perfect stranger said "If I wasn't picking up my husband at 3 I would drive you around town!" We commando camped in the rental Toyota and one night we heard a car screeching off the highway, turning up to us headlights shining in the side of the camper. He leaned out the window, "You allright Mate?"

Store clerks had time to talk and help. Everybody in the service industry seemed genuinely friendly and we were told 20 times by people that they just loved Canada.

I'm sure Aus. had it's share of dicks. Every country does but 5 weeks and 3,500km later, I never met one so good on ya Aus. You made us feel welcome and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The Sock Monkey

Last edited by Sock Monkey VC; 16-09-23 at 10:06 PM.
Old 16-09-23, 03:34 AM

Good to hear you enjoyed 'Oz' and the locals were friendly.

It's a long way from Canada!

Paul
Old 16-09-23, 11:51 PM

Glad you enjoyed it over here Sock.

I must say I was on an exchange in Canada in 1977 and enjoyed it there too!

Keith
Old 17-09-23, 02:02 PM

Good to hear that the locals treated you well. I can say the same here as an ‘Aussie’ back in the UK on family hols. A long weekend with red squirrels in Cumbria and the locals have been wonderful, cheers Dean
Old 17-09-23, 05:48 PM

Maybe it's a Commonwealth thing. There's commonality in our histories so we understand each other better from the start. I have felt completely out of my element in other countries. Anyway, a very worthwhile trip apart from 15 hrs of screaming babies on the plane on the way down and 14 on the way back. I could have done without that.