British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-12, 07:34 PM

Default RCMP Emergency Responce Team - Prince George?

Hi all, I spent last week in Northern BC on business and came across this badge. It has been on something, not an official uniform of the RCMP, maybe a ball cap or blazer. I think it is associated with the Prince George ERT team that was stationed there some time ago but I'm not sure. Can anyone give me thier thoughts on what it might be? I have a buddy who is serving on the team in Vancouver and I am going to ask him but considering he's maybe 30, I suspect this badge may be older than he is!

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PGTacti2.jpg (98.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 28-02-12, 03:56 PM

Default ERT Badge

Greg

The Force did not have an official badge for ERT until recently, I am going to say the last 12 years. A member by the name of Lee Sedore had campaigned for one and it was approved after he passed away from cancer. Then, Commissioner Zaccardelli, approved the badge for wearing on the uniform and personally came to Surrey and presented the first issued one to Lee's wife. It is a crossed rifle and sword in gold with seven maple leafs in a circle. I have some and if you want I can scan one and you can see for yourself what it looks like.

I have no idea what you have other then as you say one for a ballcap.

Jack
Old 28-02-12, 04:01 PM

Default Crossed Sabres

The crossed sabres are worn on an RCMP uniform to designate a drill Cpl, Sgt, etc. The fact that the badge has Tactical could mean the tactical troop or when I was on it we called it, "stick fighters" that goes out in riot situations. The right marker of the troop would call out the drill formations for deployment in a real riot situation and would have some idea of drill.

Jack
Old 28-02-12, 04:06 PM

Default ERT Badge

Greg

Here is the ERT Badge that was approved by Zaccardelli

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ERT.jpg (25.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 29-02-12, 02:04 AM

Thanks Jack for all your help. The ERT badge seems quite politically correct - you would never know what it was unless you really did your research. I agree that my badge is unofficial. Is there still a PG ERT?

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 29-02-12 at 04:39 AM.
Old 29-02-12, 06:20 AM

Default Emergency respons Team

Greg

I don't know what they have done up north as I retired in 2005, but in the Lower Mainland they formed a permanent team. They ran a competition and initially formed a team of 36 I think and it has been expanded from there. They go out on patrol working a shift in various Municipalities. They answer calls and have their ERT equipment with them. If they are required they can respond quicker then responding from home. If they need more members then they can call them out. I would think they have a similar situation up north.

Are you in the Lower Mainland and are you going to the Historical Arms Show in Abbotsford on the 10th March

Jack
Old 29-02-12, 02:54 PM

Hi Jack, yes, I'll be at the HACS gunshow but it's in Chilliwack on the 10,11th!

Look for the lances with the red/black pennants, that will be my table.

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 01-03-12 at 01:09 AM.
Old 29-02-12, 04:17 PM

Default HAC Show

Greg

Yes sorry my mistake, Chilliwack.

See you there

Jack
Old 01-03-12, 03:45 AM

Hi Jack and all, I was in a surplus shop today and saw this "mystery" badge on the wall. The dealer didn't know what it was but thanks to geezer#199, I knew what it was. If it's legit, I suspect it's for the dress uniform, or maybe a unofficial ball cap.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ert2.jpg (100.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-03-12, 03:54 PM

Default ERT Patch

Greg

At one point, a long time ago, the Force did issue gold wire patches for dress uniforms, long before this ERT Patch was thought of, or designed. A local tailor in New Westminster, Gastaldo's, who is Force accredited, has had gold wire badges made for years for wearing on our Red Serge. I suspect that he is not the only one that has made gold wire badges. I know that he has a gold wire ERT badge but, from my recollection it does not have a red maple leaf, all seven are gold. In any event it is the gold wire version of the RCMP ERT Patch but is not an issue patch.

On a side note, Gastaldo's daughter, if you follow the news, is the one who accused her S/Sgt boss of rape and has been in the news of late.

See you on the 10th.

Jack
Old 06-03-12, 09:16 PM

Default RCMP patches

Does anyone collect the division community patches (the kind usually on baseball hats)? I have some from Inuvik and Tuk for trade.
Old 07-03-12, 02:52 PM

Default Cap Patches

Tanker

Sorry, I have a couple but I do not collect them.

Jack

Tags
ert, rcmp, swat