British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-12, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that Mike. I have a couple of the First Hussars modified titles, and it had not crossed my mind that 1 CACR had modified their titles.
Did you see the First Hussars title I acquired at the CSMMI show?

Last edited by Bill A; 21-06-12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 21-06-12, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The source of the name BeVo:

The Be is the contraction of beteiligung (partnership) and the Vo is the contraction of Vorsteher which is the merging of two weaving companies Lucas Vorsteher and Ewald Vorsteher from the German city of Wuppertal-Barmen
Mike,
Thank you for clarification that BeVo was a German Company. British and Canadian Army badges of this woven style are surely then "Brabant" weave unless ordered before or possibly after WW2 from BeVo in Wuppertal-Barmen!

Tim
Old 21-06-12, 08:40 PM

Hi, Bevo was a name given by German collectors to that type of manufacture, which was a French invention from the beginning of the last century. A lot of first world war insignia was so made, including a British tank arm badge. Mike
Old 21-06-12, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Having seen the reverse of brabant woven and BeVo woven insignia, the Armd Carrier Regt titles are more typical of BeVo weave.
Is it not possible that the weaving machines that produced the BeVo style could have been purchased by makers in the Netherlands / Belgium?
Bill M, your research on the origins of the "BeVo" style titles would be welcome.
Old 22-06-12, 01:48 AM

Default Dutch made for sure

Bill, the "Bevo" style shoulder titles for the Kangaroos were made by Van Engelen & Evers of Heeze (SE of Eindhoven and still in business today) in Dec-January of 1945 and first distributed to the unit on Feb 6, 1945 (just in time for Op. Veritable!).

I purchased the example title from the VEE sample book from a Dutch collector in 2005. They also made the woven 79th Armoured Div (bullshead) patch. There were some other Canadian insignia as well (that I did not purchase regretfully) including "woven" 1 Cdn Army lozenges and rank pips!? But perhaps these were spec and not made in quantity as I have never seen such items again?

I cannot speak to what type of equipment VEE had in 1944-45.

The "Melton" pattern of 1CACR shoutlder titles were distributed among the ranks just days before disbandment on June 20, 1945. Most are found in veterans collections unused.
Old 22-06-12, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Is it Bevo (usually associated with German insignia) or Brabant a style of Flemish weaving used for British (& Canadian?) cloth badges after the Allied liberation of the Low Countries in World War 2. Named after the province of Brabant in Belgium.

Badges of this make can be dated from the closing stages of World War 2 to the early days of the post-war occupation of Europe.

Tim
Being Dutch myself I can't help saying that Brabant is in The Netherlands. It's linked to Belgium, but it is not in the country Belgium...
Old 06-07-12, 04:55 PM

Default Bevo confirmation.

I have acquired the tunic pictured in this thread and the titles are the woven type, not on a black wool backing, it just appears that way in the photo from how it was trimmed. However, the Greatcoat that came with the grouping has the melton titles and is decked out with the bullhead and diabolo backed in black wool.

The lanyard is very nice and matches colour material and construction another one in my collection. I've never seen a Kangaroo lanyard in a period regimental photo so likely a postwar bit of bling, just like the overtly dressy greatcoat. Both nice pieces.

Also picked up a really cool (but smelly) DR ensemble as well, any thoughts on eliminating musty odors from old leather and canvas would be appreciated by the Mrs. (her idea was to leave outside )
Old 06-07-12, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, I have had similar problems. One thing to try is baking soda. Put the "stinky" material in a plastic storage container. Put a couple of open cartons of baking soda in the container. (Do not spread the baking soda, just open the boxes.) Put the lid on and let stand for several months. Another method that may work is to freeze the material for a period of time. Your wife may not appreciate this in the family freezer, so the best may be to wait for winter and store the material in a secure unheated area. These take time.