British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-21, 06:42 PM

Default New Zealand Artillery hat badges.

Would any member please review my “New Zealand” badges in my albums. I have found difficulty in equating photo’s and text in Corbett’s book. Is my timeline correct in showing oldest to latest, (though I’m at a loss as to how to insert a photo between others).. I will place credit to whom ever corrects, adds notes (Via PM or photo notations) or further increases the usefulness of this album to members. Thank you and best regards, David J.
Old 20-03-21, 07:50 PM

Hi David,
Your album looks good to me, I'm not an expert by any means.
You have a badge with small "NZ" on top scroll which I haven't seen before.
Cheers,
John
Old 21-03-21, 12:15 AM

Hello “Tinto”, Thank you for your interest. I was not too quick in explaining what I thought I had in the facts surrounding each badge. If memory serves me correctly, the badge you mention was made during WW1. The small N Z was added to a blank upper scrolled badge. Much the same as a “Canada” tablet was added to the leafed Territorial Artillery badges during that same time. (See my Canadian album). I just now have the urge to put my hat badges into albums while I’m able, and hope that members such as yourself may enjoy looking and adding comments. Cheers, D.J.
Old 21-03-21, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Is my timeline correct in showing oldest to latest, (though I’m at a loss as to how to insert a photo between others).
As far as I know there is no 'easy' way to insert a photo into an album without deleting and then reinserting other photos. If you simply "add" a photo it automatically becomes the first photo and screws up your timeline.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 22-03-21, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Would any member please review my “New Zealand” badges in my albums. I have found difficulty in equating photo’s and text in Corbett’s book. Is my timeline correct in showing oldest to latest, (though I’m at a loss as to how to insert a photo between others).. I will place credit to whom ever corrects, adds notes (Via PM or photo notations) or further increases the usefulness of this album to members. Thank you and best regards, David J.
Hi David, I concur with Tinto that your album badges are pretty much in order, with lots of gaps yet to be filled.

In regards to the comments on the KC Royal NZ Artillery gun badge, permission from the King was given for the NZ Artillery to use the "Royal" title in late 1901, although it wasn't officially gazeted until January 1903.

Just out of interest, it is rumored that Wellingtons "D" Battery NZ Field Artillery, was unofficially given the title "Royal" 30 years earlier after it fired a salute for the Duke of Edinburgh when he visited New Zealand in 1869.

On page 109 of Corbetts book - "After 1902 the helmet-plate was in brass, Ubique was permitted to be worn on the plinth as the Regiment had received Royal sanction."
"When the Permanent Militia became the Permanent Force on 15th October 1902, the No.1 Service company was designated the Royal NZ Artillery."

This picture taken in 1900 shows a NZ Permanent Artillery barracks, note the side caps and spiked helmets.

1900 Permanent Artillery.jpg
Old 22-03-21, 08:15 PM

The helmets have balls on top.
Field Service caps are sitting above the equipment and on the bed roll are Forage caps.
Barry