British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-19, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
Thank you. I was also just looking at these. Unfortunately, not finding any matches on the names yet. May need to locate the war diary...
The War Diary is on line I think, I'll Google.....

I must have been thinking of "The Pegasus Archive"
- the WWII Normandy War Diary

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 12-08-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-08-19, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The War Diary is on line I think, I'll Google.....

I must have been thinking of "The Pegasus Archive"
- the WWII Normandy War Diary
Yes, Pegasus Archive has their war diary for the Normandy operation. I have scanned through, but not picking up any matches. However, there is evidently a tendency to only name officers and rarely any ORs . I would like to think that a CSM would merit a mention somewhere.
Old 12-08-19, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I agree, 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star and Defence Medal. The 1939-1945 Star was introduced in July 1943, the France and Germany Star in May 1945 and the Defence Medal in August 1945. The War Medal 1939-1945 was also introduced in August 1945 so the ribbons had clearly not been issued at the time the photo was taken.
Are there any other Airborne RASC Companies that might fit the bill? or is 716 the only contender?
Old 12-08-19, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Are there any other Airborne RASC Companies that might fit the bill? or is 716 the only contender?
716 Company were the only airborne unit of the RASC in the Far East at that time to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-08-19, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
716 Company were the only airborne unit of the RASC in the Far East at that time to the best of my knowledge.
Thank you Hoot!
Old 12-08-19, 04:00 PM

Doug, I can't help with the ID of the unit but it is a superb photo. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 12-08-19, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Doug, I can't help with the ID of the unit but it is a superb photo. Thank you for sharing it.
You are most welcome!
Old 14-08-19, 12:53 PM

I have just found out that at least 5 of the gents in the photo were attached to 225 Parachute Field Ambulance, in SE Asia, 1945-46.

They also served in Java in 1945-46, with 5th Parachute Brigade, until the brigade was disbanded.

I wonder if this means that the whole group were RASC attached to 225 Parachute Field Ambulance? Any insights into the size/composition of RASC contingents attached to Fld Amb would be appreciated.
Old 14-08-19, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I have just found out that at least 5 of the gents in the photo were attached to 225 Parachute Field Ambulance, in SE Asia, 1945-46.

They also served in Java in 1945-46, with 5th Parachute Brigade, until the brigade was disbanded.

I wonder if this means that the whole group were RASC attached to 225 Parachute Field Ambulance? Any insights into the size/composition of RASC contingents attached to Fld Amb would be appreciated.
All the drivers would have been RASC. I cannot remember exact numbers but there would have been over 30.
Old 15-08-19, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
All the drivers would have been RASC. I cannot remember exact numbers but there would have been over 30.
Hi CAM, I can now confirm that "yes" it was well over 30 men.

The June 1945 War Establishment for a Parachute Field Ambulance included 1 officer and 51 other ranks on attachment from the RASC. See...

https://jramc.bmj.com/content/jramc/89/5/235.full.pdf

This would officially have been the WE when 5th Parachute Brigade departed for India (and subsequently Malaya and Java/Indonesia) in July 1945.