British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-08, 12:17 AM

I think its a definite banger! something like the QO Yeomanry in reversed metal to create interest from avid collectors. Cheers Sean.
Old 10-12-08, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
I think its a definite banger! something like the QO Yeomanry in reversed metal to create interest from avid collectors. Cheers Sean.

Sean i would not discount this badge that easily. Certainly it is suspicious but it is the only one i have seen and have never heard of the like before. I have also consulted a far more knowledgable West Yorks dealer who has not heard of it either as being an original issue nor as a repro. Why spend many hundreds of pounds taking a badge and creating a backwards badge? You cannot simply use the other side of a die it requires a whole new die! Lots of labour involved unless there is some super dooper new 3 dimensional scanner that can scan an image in 3 dimensions, reverse it on a computer the create a reverse die. Assuming the old fashioned way has been used and a die has been made by hand, why has this badge not been seen before or at least heard of before???? The point of a repro badge is to make money, if i spend 20 hours making a die as good as an original, add the material cost, throw in power and lighting how can i make money producing only 3 or 4 examples? Any more than this the badge collecting community would know about it. Simply not worth it, far easier to do a common badge and restrike it by the thousand and make many hundreds of pounds selling a 50p badge for a fiver. Whilst i have my hesitations about stating this badge to be categorically genuine, i cannot see any logic in restriking a badge to this degree and not running at least 1000 badges off! Reversing metals on a badge is easy, you just change the metal used on the blank which is simple. However you cannot strike a badge from the reverse side to get the horse facing the opposite direction!!!
If this badge is genuine it must be worth in excess of £100. If it had provenance or a reference in a know work i would have paid that amount for it. If i could have picked it up and examined it and assured myself of authenticity i would have paid the asking price. I would have bought it for £25 from the internet unseen.
Hammo has purchased the item which i hope is worth the gamble, if i had the money to spare he would not have got the chance! (Makes it hard to shout at the wife spending £100 on a handbag if i were to spend £50 on an ounce of non-precious metal in the form of a badge!)
Old 12-12-08, 09:16 PM

Alan,

This summer I photographed just about every West yorkshire Regiment badge in their museum in York. I can send them to you if you wish. I have attached a couple below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WYorks18.jpg (51.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg WYorks1.jpg (30.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg WYorks1a.jpg (31.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg WYorks5.jpg (44.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WYorks14.jpg (30.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 13-12-08, 03:46 PM
guest123a

Yes they do have some interesting West York's badges in the PWO museum, I know they don't have a reversed one though.
I used to visit the museum on a regular basis as a ex member of 1 PWO and new the former curator very well.
It's moving away from the subject but particually like the Leeds Rifles items they have in there.
Old 10-05-09, 05:37 PM

Default West Yorkshire Regt.

Well, I have been searching for any and all info on my GGF in WWI. Some members on another forum have helped me out in finding some info so now I am going to other means here.

In the only picture I have of him in uniform he is a Pte in the WYR (I believe he stayed a Pte through the war).......his hat badge has the leaping horse.

My questions:
-I am trying to find out what Battalion he served in before being WIA and transfered to the Labour Corp.

-Did the WYR have a collar insignia (dogs)? I have seen the hat badges and shoulder flashes but have never seen collar dogs. How can I go about to find a set for sale? Ebay has never had them (I know someone will prove me wrong here hahaha)

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Dan
Old 10-05-09, 07:17 PM

Default West Yorks WW1

I don't think other ranks wore collar badges on service dress during WW1. The collar badge they wore post WW1 was the POW feathers and coronet.
Old 07-08-10, 02:26 PM

Default West Yorks KK 608 Manufacturers Variations of

Having just seen Andy's array of manufacturers variations to the RIR/RUR (and his comments on another theread that variations for a particular badge [can't remember which one] are in double digits), I was wondering how many variations are known for the West Yorks badge? I have several which are different and I have tried to compare them to those in albums of known Yorkshire experts such as Deejayuu - which appear different again. How many variations can there be?
Mark
Old 07-08-10, 02:47 PM
Former Member

Lots!!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8254.jpg (48.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8255.jpg (45.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8256.jpg (48.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8257.jpg (49.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 07-08-10 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 02:58 PM

I have 21 different BM versions of the King's Regt cap badge worn between January 1896 and September 1926. I know of at least three further versions. Most of these differences are minor.
The cap badge of the W Yorks was worn for considerably longer (December 1896 to September 1958 I think) than the 1896 King's badge so I would not be at all surprised to see umpteen variations.
Old 07-08-10, 03:38 PM

Thanks KLR/Andy

Thick tail, thin tail, straight tail, bent tail, soft mane, spikey mane, no strengthener between forelegs, strenghtener between fetlock and hoof, strengthener between hoof and hoof......the list goes on. Umpteen as you say.

Andy, I don't know if its my eyes or the Saturday night sherry - but your West Yorks image is a bit out of focus. What do you think about another camera shot.......?!? Hope not too cheeky to ask?

Mark
Old 14-10-10, 09:58 AM

Default West Yorkshire with lugs opinions please

This was one of the first badges I bought when I started collecting early this year.
I always thought it was an original but now looking through the albums I can only see it with a slider and not lugs (except for the Vols)
Would this badge be produced with lugs or is it a copy, your opinions and comments welcome please.

Cheers
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010942_edited-1.jpg (73.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1010943_edited-1.jpg (74.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010944_edited-1.jpg (64.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by coldstream; 14-10-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 14-10-10, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Paul,

The badge was originally made with lugs (circa1900) and then slidered versions would have followed later.

Alan
Old 14-10-10, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Paul,

The badge was originally made with lugs (circa1900) and then slidered versions would have followed later.

Alan
Alan,
Thanks for the info, that is good news because when I bought it I was a complete novice!
Now I can look out for the slidered version.

Cheers
Paul
Old 14-10-10, 11:50 AM

Talking west yorkshire on lugs!.

Hi Paul,
That is a nice looking badge,they are not as common as the slidered
versions in fact taking out my volunteer badges I only have managed to obtain 3 of this type of the west yorks badge,I think they are little gem`s.
cheers andy.
Old 14-10-10, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
Hi Paul,
That is a nice looking badge,they are not as common as the slidered
versions in fact taking out my volunteer badges I only have managed to obtain 3 of this type of the west yorks badge,I think they are little gem`s.
cheers andy.
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the comment.
I have always thought this was a nice looking badge but always had my doubts because of not ever seeing a lugged one.
I bought it at a car boot for £5 and the seller said it was original.

Cheers
Paul

Tags
west yorkshire, yorkshire