British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-09, 02:59 PM

Default New Zealand Corp of Signals

Anothe cap badge coming form the same lot: no doubts about it being NZ Corps of Signals, but, once again, presumed vintage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZCS_1.jpg (59.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg NZCS_2.jpg (68.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 29-07-09, 08:31 PM

Hi Loupie,

Quoting D. A. Corbett again, this version of the NZ Corps of Signals badge was in use from 1938 until the Corps was granted the prefix “Royal” in July 1947.

Not sure if it was worn overseas or if the Onward badge was used.

Cheers,
Wairua
Old 30-07-09, 08:41 AM

Default NZCS cap badge

Dave Corbett's book is excellent and Dave was a friend of mine. We both worked for air new zealand and he helped me a lot when I first took up serious badge collecting. Dave was a wartime fighter pilot but had started off in the NZCS before transfering to the Air Force. The quote from the previous message however is incorrect. The New Zealand Corps of Signals cap and collars were first issued in 1935. They were issued in bi-metal, bronze, and gilt and silver plate. These badges were worn in New Zealand by 1, 4 and 5 Divisional Signals and also by the District Signals and Fortress Signals. Those men that served overseas with 2 NZEF and the Pacific Section had a universal cap badge. The officers issue badges are quite hard to find these days. When the badges were first issued it is a fact that most of the NZCS wore the old NZ Post and Telegraph badges from the formation of the NZCS up to about 1940. Due to the shortage of badges in the late 1930s even the old NZ Signal Corps (the old Div Sigs badge of WW1) was also issued. We all tend to take dates of wear rather seriously but often dates were quite flexible. One story many of my old friends in RNZSigs told me was that Cyril Bassett VC winner and Signaller was spotted wearing the Australian cap badge while on Galipolli. Asked why, he just said he liked it. As well as Dave Corbetts superb book there is also NZ Army Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991 in 2 parts (comprehensive), and ANZAC Elite for NZ and Australian wings. If you are interested in the history of RNZSigs then Swift and Sure: A History of The Royal New Zealand Corps of Signals and Army Signalling in New Zealand is the official Corps history. Lots of photos and info on badges too.
Cliff Lord
(Hon Hist RNZSigs)
Old 31-07-09, 12:49 PM

thank you all, for your replies!
Old 31-07-09, 01:16 PM

Default what a surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Dave Corbett's book is excellent and Dave was a friend of mine. We both worked for air new zealand and he helped me a lot when I first took up serious badge collecting. Dave was a wartime fighter pilot but had started off in the NZCS before transfering to the Air Force. The quote from the previous message however is incorrect. The New Zealand Corps of Signals cap and collars were first issued in 1935. They were issued in bi-metal, bronze, and gilt and silver plate. These badges were worn in New Zealand by 1, 4 and 5 Divisional Signals and also by the District Signals and Fortress Signals. Those men that served overseas with 2 NZEF and the Pacific Section had a universal cap badge. The officers issue badges are quite hard to find these days. When the badges were first issued it is a fact that most of the NZCS wore the old NZ Post and Telegraph badges from the formation of the NZCS up to about 1940. Due to the shortage of badges in the late 1930s even the old NZ Signal Corps (the old Div Sigs badge of WW1) was also issued. We all tend to take dates of wear rather seriously but often dates were quite flexible. One story many of my old friends in RNZSigs told me was that Cyril Bassett VC winner and Signaller was spotted wearing the Australian cap badge while on Galipolli. Asked why, he just said he liked it. As well as Dave Corbetts superb book there is also NZ Army Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991 in 2 parts (comprehensive), and ANZAC Elite for NZ and Australian wings. If you are interested in the history of RNZSigs then Swift and Sure: A History of The Royal New Zealand Corps of Signals and Army Signalling in New Zealand is the official Corps history. Lots of photos and info on badges too.
Cliff Lord
(Hon Hist RNZSigs)
Oh well, may I be damned.. I didn't pay attention to the signature! Cliff Lord in person! I guess you'll be quite happy in knowing that yours New Zealand Army Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991 has reached the antipodes and is a major reading of this humble Italian collector of British and Commonwealth WWII militaria! Cheers!
Old 31-07-09, 11:26 PM

Thank you for those kind comments, but I am only expert in a few areas and it is mainly because I served in R.Sigs in Aden Germany and UK. Thematics is the only way to go if serious about mil hist and its heraldry and insignia.
Rgds
Quicksilver
Old 01-08-09, 11:45 AM

Trying to sell books Cliff? Need to promote our planned book on Pacific Island insignia........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thank you for those kind comments, but I am only expert in a few areas and it is mainly because I served in R.Sigs in Aden Germany and UK. Thematics is the only way to go if serious about mil hist and its heraldry and insignia.
Rgds
Quicksilver
Old 01-08-09, 10:07 PM

We need to plan the book for my retirement Shaun. Thats not far away.
Cliff
Old 03-08-09, 06:55 PM

Hello Cliff, on form as usual.Heard a rumor of an amalgamation of sorts with Inns of Court and City Yeomanry and Essex Yeomanry ( from OC. I.C.C.Y.) when i know more will info.Best regards.Phil.
Old 03-08-09, 08:02 PM

Look forward to hearing more. Dont get the Wire magazine any more so miss out on a lot of info.
Rgds Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalman View Post
Hello Cliff, on form as usual.Heard a rumor of an amalgamation of sorts with Inns of Court and City Yeomanry and Essex Yeomanry ( from OC. I.C.C.Y.) when i know more will info.Best regards.Phil.