British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-08, 07:03 PM

Default 1914-15 stars to the RCN and RNCVR

The 1914-15 stars to the RCN and RNCVR were unique in the fact that they were named to the SHIP. This example is named to Stoker Willcox of HMCS Rainbow.

Altho HMCS Rainbow was a 2nd class Cruiser & the second largest ship in the WWI RCN fleet, 1914-15 stars named to her are very rare.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willcox star Rainbow.jpg (43.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Willcox star Rainbow 2.jpg (24.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-02-08, 05:10 AM

Default Awsome

Wow, that is the first medal I've ever seen named to a Rainbow. Regarding pics and pic size, I think the site software here will not allow large images to be hosted on the site. What I do is host my images on my website and link directly to them. I have 20 gigs a month bandwidth I'm paying for, so I might as well use it.
As well as Military Police related army and air force I also collect RCN uniforms, badges and insignia, but mostly as they relate to Crushers and Regulators. My website is at: http://mpmuseum.org
I have a few RCN pages up, it's an ongoing project. Being a former Army Meathead, I don't have a detailed knowledge of the RCN, so constructive criticism is always welcomed. My current project is a pdf of the 1918 Dress Instructions for the RCN. It should be online in a few weeks.
I'd love to see some CDVs of early Officers and Ratings.
Old 04-02-08, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cameron View Post
Wow, that is the first medal I've ever seen named to a Rainbow. Regarding pics and pic size, I think the site software here will not allow large images to be hosted on the site. What I do is host my images on my website and link directly to them. I have 20 gigs a month bandwidth I'm paying for, so I might as well use it.
As well as Military Police related army and air force I also collect RCN uniforms, badges and insignia, but mostly as they relate to Crushers and Regulators. My website is at: http://mpmuseum.org
I have a few RCN pages up, it's an ongoing project. Being a former Army Meathead, I don't have a detailed knowledge of the RCN, so constructive criticism is always welcomed. My current project is a pdf of the 1918 Dress Instructions for the RCN. It should be online in a few weeks.
Thanks John, I have not checked yr site yet but intend to. I know there is another Military Police Virtual Museum site & its quite good. Lots of RCN info on there, mainly concerning the history of the Naval Police/Regulating branch, Provost Corps,RCAF Police etc. A very informative site.

I checked some of the other photos posted in other topics on the forum & se most of the photos are small & have to be clicked on to enlarge. I dont have a website to draw from, but I have a large collection of file photos in my own collection & its easy to scan them.

I will post some RPPC's of Ships Police/Regulators soon IF its permitted on the forum - some of the forums are pretty touchy on 'off subject' posts.

Bryan
Old 04-02-08, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cameron View Post
Wow, that is the first medal I've ever seen named to a Rainbow.

My current project is a pdf of the 1918 Dress Instructions for the RCN. It should be online in a few weeks.
Concerning WWI medals to the RCN & RNCVR John, the 1914-15 star was always uniquely named to a SHIP - either HMCS (or HMS if the officer or rating was seconded to the RN & serving on an RN ship, & I have two examples of that occurance); you cannot tell by looking at the star naming if the officer or rating was RCN or RNCVR. The WWI BWM & Victory medals however were named either RCN or RNCVR tho, with the rating's ON(Official number).

Fior Stoker Willcox I have his complete trio & he was RCN.

I look forward to reading yr article on the 1918 RCN Dress Regulations.

Bryan
Old 04-02-08, 11:48 PM

Default WWII medal set to RCNVR Patrolman

John I have a WWII medal set with RCNVR Long Service medal named to a Leading Patrolman, & I expect this is a very rare rate on a LS medal as I have never seen one before in 40 yrs of collecting!

I'll try to illustrate it when I get the grp scanned.

Do you know are medals permitted on the forum???? I dont want to offend anyone by posting medal shots, as some forums are touchy about 'off subject' posts.

Bryan
Old 04-02-08, 11:48 PM

Default WWII medal set to RCNVR Patrolman

John I have a WWII medal set with RCNVR Long Service medal named to a Leading Patrolman, & I expect this is a very rare rate on a LS medal as I have never seen one before in 40 yrs of collecting!

I'll try to illustrate it when I get the grp scanned.

Do you know are medals permitted on the forum???? I dont want to offend anyone by posting medal shots, as some forums are touchy about 'off subject' posts.

Bryan
Old 06-02-08, 09:11 PM

Default Photos and Gongs

Bryan, I can't speak for the site owner but I know that photos of uniforms in wear are permitted on this board. I think that pics of gongs might be ok so long as they relate to a badge or other on topic subject and it doesn't get to be a habit.... Maybe the boss can put a subject thread starter for Photos and CDVs in the Canadian section?
John
Old 09-02-08, 11:43 PM

I think you should be OK chaps as you have posted this in Other Militiria and Medals is as far as i am concerned are part of Other Militiria.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 10-02-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 19-02-08, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the info on the RCN/RNCVR stars. I always enjoy "things navy" but I also have to thank John Cameron for his connection the the Military Police website because I also enjoy "things constabulary".

Hugh