British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-20, 10:29 PM

Default 1at American Squadron Cap Badge

Have another question, this time regarding the cap badge worn by the 1st American Squadron of the Home Guard. I see a lot of them offered with the standard American screw back bolt in the middle as this.

However, I am not able to determine the size of this badge from the picture or what is provided. If it is the standard size of the usual American army cap badge, then I suspect it is in reality a cap badge worn by a Tech Rep serving the US Army as an interface with the various war contractors. Additionally, I do not see how the standard sized cap badge could fit properly on a British side cap (I think you all refer to it as a FS cap) and also without poking the wearer's head.

I think the only proper cap badge worn by this unit would be a smaller version as depicted in this grouping of reenactor items. This look proper.

I am only making assumptions here, but to me this seems to be a true cap badge worn by this squadron, and although I can say what the size is, it seems more akin to a typical British cap badge.

Not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to understand what is correct. The tech rep badges can be found over here at prices far less than the UK, but I don't think they would be proper HG cap badges. I measured the standard eagle cap badge on my officers 15th AF crusher and it measures 2 3/8ths inches and 21/8th inches. When I am in a position to get one, I'd like it to be correct.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Terry
Old 10-02-20, 10:41 PM

I am the owner of the above badge. Will measure it tomorrow and post the size.
Old 11-02-20, 11:38 AM

I have a couple of these one with screwpost and large and a slightly smaller with lugs (can't remember how many) and this is thin as in bendable which I suspect isn't good.

O/K been up and checked location and here they are :-

Large :- Maker mark J.R. Gaunt, London
Thickness 1.50mm / 0.056"
Width 57.66mm / 2.270"
Height 52.21mm / 2.051"
Rear post depth 17.35mm / 0.690"

Small badge :- No makers mark.
Thickness 1.11mm / 0.038"
Width 50.67 / 1.997"
Height45.93mm / 1.820"
Two lugs to rear on wingsaligned to the Eagles neck!

Thickness on smaller badge is variable depends where taken (with Vernier), but you see what I mean it's thin and although not pliable wouldn't take much to bend out of shape if you intended too? But robust enough for what it is, the larger is Solid! with a Gaunt maker mark.

Hope this helps and Luke hope this helps you also, mine actually looks similar to your ownregard lug positioning, had a thought where these where at and too hand - no brainer, all the best billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200211_112418-1.jpg (121.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_112438-1.jpg (119.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_112443-1.jpg (42.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_112455-1.jpg (120.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_112505-1.jpg (114.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_112521-1.jpg (79.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-02-20, 12:52 PM

My badge with the use of a mark I ruler measures approximately 57mm wide x 50mm heigh.

As you can see from the picture it is smaller than a RA badge so size alone would not preclude wear in a forage cap.

The 2 looped badges pictured above (plus the one on the cap) with the disgruntled looking eagle and lacking voids between the scrolls are MM fakes. Number 809.

‘C’ is the badge Gaylor showed in edition 1 of his book. My Ludlow badge is an exact match.

‘2432’ is from KK Vol. 2. This badge is from a different die.

An example from yet another die is shown in this thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...can+home+guard . The badge is marked Gaunt, has loops rather than pins and the screw post removed. I like this badge.

Given this unit would not have been issued badges by the WO there is the potential for variation of both maker and fixings. As to what was worn I cannot say.

That said regarding Gaylor’s and Hugh King’s badges being 1stAS HG it could be one is correct, both are correct, or neither are correct examples to this unit.

I would be interested to see some examples of these Tech Rep badges?

Also what’s not to say that 1stAS HG would not have purchased ‘Tech Rep’ badges if a die fitting their requirements was already in existence at a manufacturers to save the time and expense of potentially commissioning a new one.

Last edited by Luke H; 11-02-20 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-02-20, 01:10 PM

Hi Luke the smaller one off mine is a match for the M.M. copy but thought as much due to thickness, happy with the Larger one though, nice to see others and may have one of the smaller ones in the rest of American badges not sorted out as yet? Will check and post if I have but nit just yet getting ready to go to something called work!! All the best billy
Old 11-02-20, 02:29 PM

Another Gaunt badge here: http://www.whartonmilitaria.co.uk/de...&item=BBTA0051 . The seller Wharton Militaria sells many fakes, forgeries and questionable badges. From the back I believe it is a cast copy. Plus you could drill for oil with the screw post!

And yet another here... https://www.relicmilitaria.com/produ...ron-cap-badge/