British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-18, 08:09 AM

Default A Dorset badge

This badge appeared on another web site with the claim it was a Boy Scout badge. I suggested it was a Dorsetshire Regiment shoulder title with the centre piece of a cap badge brazen on, which rather upset the owner of the badge who insisted it was made in one piece. Fair enough, perhaps it is a shoulder title, but I cannot find anything to support that. Opinions please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DORSET 3.jpg (96.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-04-18, 04:22 PM

Default Dorset badge

It is the first pattern badge worn by Dorset Boy Scouts
Old 04-04-18, 05:24 PM

Badger 44. Thank you for that, and not that I don't believe you but can you please give your source so as to verify that information. e.g. would it date from the time when 'Scouting for Boys' was a fortnightly publication and lads throughout the country banded themselves together, calling themselves patrols or troops to play the new game of Scouting, which might account for the military style

Thanks

Last edited by johnG; 04-04-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:01 PM

Hopefully this will suffice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devon.jpg (40.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-04-18, 07:13 PM

To add... date wise - Scouting for boys in fortnightly parts was published in 1908 only. Given that the image I previously posted shows that the young scout in question has a Woggle on his neckerchief, that is likely the best way to date that image. In the Feb 1910 Ammendment to the original Policy Organisation and Rules (POR) of the Scout Association it was stated that:

Scouts wore a "Neckerchief of the colours of the various Patrols. The neckerchief is worn loosely knotted at the throat and also at the ends".

It wasn't until the 13th July 1923 that the minutes from the General meeting of the Scout Association stated that: "The use of a ring for holding the scarf was approved provided all members ... used a similar ring" This was then added to POR in the January 1924 update.

So the image of the Dorset badge must be post July 1923 and I suspect post Jan 1924 as he is clearly wearing a woggle of some description.

Best I can do date wise - although you could always contact the Devon scout county office and I am sure that they will be able to provide further details if you still need more info.

Last edited by Wooffy; 04-04-18 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Ammended
Old 04-04-18, 07:43 PM

Fantastic. Thanks Woofy, that is a terrific answer and just the sort of information I was hoping for. With my service in the Scout movement spanning 60 years and 15 years of badge collecting since turning in my last Warrant at the age of 70, plus extensive reading over the years this is a completely new one on me, hence my scepticism at the start, which just goes to show - we never stop learning.
John