British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-21, 03:45 PM

Default British Legion Volunteer Police Force

Brief history of the BLVPF

The British Legion Volunteer Police Force was a very short lived police force established in response to the outcome of the Munich Agreement in September 1938. The force was formed on 6 October 1938 and disbanded on 15 October 1938, only ten days later.

The 'Force' consisited of 1200 men and their uniform consisted of Police blue peaked caps and greatcoats (supplied by Metropolitan Police) and dark blue three piece suits.

A special cap badge was produced with epaulette badges for the greatcoats , an armband in the legion colours of gold (yellow ?) and blue was also issued. A standard British Legion badge was to be worn in the left lapel buttonhole of the suit.

Provenance of badges

The badges were part of an auction lot consisting of the Boer War/WW1 medals awarded to Lieut/Capt (later Major) H.S.L Wolley which was sold on 30th April 2021.

On 15th May the items were listed on eBay but split into three lots (Medals/British Legion badges/Gold BL badge). I had a 'gut feeling' that the BL badges were for the BLVPF and did some serious research which proved my feeling was correct.

I put in a bid and now the badges are mine ! (they arrived this morning).

Major Wolley was an active member of the British Legion becoming Vice Chairman of the Cheltenham branch, during WW2 as part of the Local Defence Volunteers he was a staff officer at the HQ of General Sir Reginald Stevens, he passed away on March 3rd 1957 at Godalming in Surrey.

Note : Unfortunately for me , his basic BL badges are part of the "Medal" lot and his Gold award badge (hallmarked for 1952 or 1954) is from a time before the "unique identification numbers" were stamped on the Gold badges and as such can't be positively linked to him (and as money is tight I won't be going for it )

Still , I now have a very nice set of BLVPF badges in my collection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLVPF Set F.jpg (64.2 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF Set R.jpg (47.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF Epaulette R.jpg (49.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF Epaulette loops.jpg (65.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Cheltenham 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Cheltenham 2.jpg (71.9 KB, 81 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 28-05-21 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 03:31 PM

Default Armband/Brassard

Quote:
an armband in the legion colours of gold (yellow ?) and blue was also issued
There were two different armbands :

1. Black with BL1 in red letters - This was worn by the senior officers in No.1 Division , there is a photograph showing the 2IC wearing one.

2. Described by IWM as "Orange armband on which is painting in blue "BRITISH LEGION", with a black ribbon ties at each corner". Have seen no photos of this being worn by BLVPF.

The first armband appears to have been specially made for the BLVPF but the second style was used again when 1000 British Legion members visited Paris 4-7 August 1939. It is possible/probable that this design of armband was worn on the visits to Germany from 1935 onwards.

Picture 3 shows an official British legion price list from 1937 listing the two "standard" armbands/brassards available.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLVPF Armband.jpg (20.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF Armband 2.jpg (31.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg BLHQ_PriceLIst1937 2.jpg (37.0 KB, 20 views)

Old 05-06-21, 03:42 PM

Mike,

Very interesting thread to a sub organization of the British Legion I had never heard of or imagined to exist, thanks for posting.

Simon.
Old 06-06-21, 10:11 AM

Thanks Simon , the 1930's were a very interesting and controversial time for the Legion. The visits to Germany are seen (in hindsight) as 'appeasement' and a propaganda victory for the Germans but at the time were meant to "foster close relations with German veteran organisations and promote peace."

The Foreign Office decided that the 1935 visit was unlikely to harbour 'any sinister propaganda purpose', and allowed it to go ahead, but warned Heath about the difficulties of 'indulging in this kind of political activity with Germany'.

And the Prince of Wales (the Legion's patron) made a statement saying "I feel that there could be no more suitable body or organisation to stretch forth the hand of friendship to the Germans than we ex-service men, who fought them in the Great War and have now forgotten about all that."

So , while they may have been niave their visits were officially sanctioned.

In late Septembe 1938 an agreement was reached to form the British Legion Volunteer Police Force and 17,000 members volunteered their services.

In October 1,200 men had been selected and on October 8th were issued with their uniforms etc , they embarked on 2 ships (the SS Naldera and Dunera) but on 14th October the Force was informed that they would not be required in Czechoslovakia. On 15 October, the force was quickly dispersed.

The timescale to form , recruit , equip and then disband this 'short lived' force was impressive and a small part of the British Legion's history.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg waiting-at-sea.jpg (38.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 20-06-21, 08:02 PM

Well done Mike, a cracking collection to get hold of.

Michael
Old 21-06-21, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Well done Mike, a cracking collection to get hold of.

Michael
Thanks Michael , it was great to find a set that could actually be traced back to a member of the BLVPF.

I now have 5 BLVPF (style) badges and they fall into 3 distinct categories :

1. Unmarked (long) slider , tapered (51mm - 48mm) . Two including this one.

2. Marked (long) slider , tapered (52mm - 50mm) stamped with a curved RD.684409 on slider (large enamel badge design number). Pre or post BLVPF ?

3. Unmarked (short) slider (366mm) , untapered (58mm - 58mm).

NB. The 'long' sliders are are difficult to measure due to angle of attachment and curvature (483mm - 457mm) but are not noticeably longer than post 1945 marked Bandsman badges.

I can still find no definitive information if anyone wore this style of badge before the BLVPF in 1938 . Bandsmen definitely had a badge but did it have a slider or loops ? In March 1928 the British Legion Car Attendants (Belfast) Ltd began operations but what cap badge did they wear ?

One bit of information that really confuses me is from an official British Legion price list dated February 1937 , it has a price for a 'Bandsman's Cap' badge but also has a price for a 'Standard Bearers' badge !

I am assuming this refers to a crossbelt/sling plates , did Birmingham Medal Co. produce these (as they had the badge contract at that point) ?

Old 22-06-21, 10:35 AM

Hi Mike

Another area that has passed unnoticed but truly fascinating nonetheless.

I'm seeing a parallel here between the BLVPF and the Legion of Frontiersmen who were often made up of men (women?????) who had had at least some military training and undertook various functions such as crowd control at formal gatherings, etc.

Question for those who know more, but did Special Constables have to have been in the forces or was this not necessary?
Old 30-12-23, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up Picture Post

I've had a photo of an article about the British Legion Volunteer Police Force in my collection for a number of years and just before Christmas got hold of an original page from the "Picture Post".

Just after it arrived I did a bit of checking and found the original issue it came from , today the postman delivered it !

It was the October 22nd 1938 issue , by which time the BLVPF was no more as they were disbanded on the 15th October 1938 .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLVPF - Picture Post.jpg (82.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF - Picture Post October 1938.jpg (58.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF - Picture Post article.jpg (72.8 KB, 17 views)