British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-21, 11:44 PM

Default Mystery pugri badge worn in India late 1870s

Please can anyone identify which numbered line infantry regiment wore this pugri badge in India circa late 1870s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD3BE8AE-5E4B-4F3F-B85C-7704EC4C11CE.jpg (32.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 18-09-21, 12:38 AM

Default Pugri badge

Attempting to answer my own question I note that the glengarry badges of both the 41st and 77th Foot featured a POW feathers badge, I presume it is one or other of these?
Old 18-09-21, 01:28 AM

Pagri badges or flashes were not generally worn in 70s and 80s. The PoW plumes were also worn by many Indian Army regiments.
A better look at the entire photo and his uniform might help.

CB
Old 18-09-21, 11:25 AM

He is a British private from a line regiment, late 1870s, he wears a scarlet frock with one breast pocket flap and a white loop on cuff, no collar badges he is not from an Indian regiment. I don’t currently have access to the original photo otherwise I would have posted it. Pugri patches were worn by a few British Line regiments as early as the 1860s and by the 1870s even more regiments wore them but by no means all, the small size of patch behind the badge is typical of that period, I have seen photos of pugri patches even worn on the early helmets with flute on top. In the Army Museums Ogilby Trust is a copy of a list of pugri flashes of line regiments observed in wear by a senior officer in India dated sometime in the 1870s.
Old 18-09-21, 03:10 PM

If as you say the subject is a private in a British line regiment then you can discount the 41st foot as rank and file did not wear PoW plumes as a stand alone badge at that time on any of their headgear.

Last edited by 41st; 18-09-21 at 07:59 PM.
Old 18-09-21, 03:26 PM

Many thanks, I am tending towards the 77th Foot, his frock is plain scarlet with 5 button front and a single breast pocket, no facings or collar badges and plain sleeves, not with a white loop as I mistakenly said earlier