British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-24, 02:36 AM

Default Australian leather cap and badges AASC

A really interesting photo taken from a UK dealers site. It shows a group of WW1 AASC diggers wearing leather caps with a rising sun badge (both hat and collar) being worn with an AUSTRALIA title below; also on the shoulder straps is what appears to be an AUSTRALIA title with numeral and likely an ASC title. A really interesting photo of the rare leather cap and an interesting combination of titles and badges....a beauty.

Last edited by vigilans; 18-02-24 at 02:46 AM. Reason: New pic
Old 18-02-24, 07:36 PM

Thanks for sharing that.

I really love the look of those leather caps and would love to have one. I seem to recall during my research into Despatch Riders that I came across one of these Australian leather caps that belonged to a despatch rider. Very cool.

Appreciate seeing this.

Cheerio,
Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 18-02-24, 10:10 PM

Very intriguing, thanks for showing.

Keith
Old 23-02-24, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
A really interesting photo taken from a UK dealers site. It shows a group of WW1 AASC diggers wearing leather caps with a rising sun badge (both hat and collar) being worn with an AUSTRALIA title below; also on the shoulder straps is what appears to be an AUSTRALIA title with numeral and likely an ASC title. A really interesting photo of the rare leather cap and an interesting combination of titles and badges....a beauty.
I agree on the shoulder titles being a company number above an ASC title with the AUSTRALIA title below that. The leather caps were issued to MT drivers and earned them the nicknames of "Leatherheads" and "Benzine Lancers" and probably others. Great image of the caps and gaiters being worn.
Old 26-02-24, 07:36 AM

Just a couple more of the panoramic pic - a plethora of leather caps and you you may notice one bloke who appears a bit surely - very funny!
Interesting to note, besides the insignia the caps, bandoliers, gaiters and 303's; it made me think that if a digger was a left handed shooter, would he wear the bandolier over the other shoulder???

Last edited by vigilans; 26-02-24 at 08:38 AM.
Old 27-02-24, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
Just a couple more of the panoramic pic - a plethora of leather caps and you you may notice one bloke who appears a bit surely - very funny!
Interesting to note, besides the insignia the caps, bandoliers, gaiters and 303's; it made me think that if a digger was a left handed shooter, would he wear the bandolier over the other shoulder???
The one identifiable vehicle is a Peerless 3 Tonner which probably goes for some of the others as well but at least one of them is rated as a 30cwt.