British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-11, 10:24 PM
Former Member

Default Pseudonyms

This is not about badges, so if such threads wind you up then please log out now![/B]

For those who have read on............. why do people try to hide their true identity?

I can fully understand why banned people try and as seen manage to sneak back on under another alias!! When I was banned I tried this too, but my IT skills are obviously pants as I could not manage to evade the log on process!

This Forum is a superb reference for all badge collectors and I must admit I missed it during the time I was banned (although I could monitor the threads).

I see a previously banned member has now been resurrected and is profusely posting (under yet another alias), many know who he is and I personally do not have a problem with his participation as he has a lot to bring to the party, as long as he toes the line like everyone else with regards to the revised Forum Rules and off the Forum I have found him to be a gentleman. The banter is good too as he can obviously raise the hackles of some long established members.

What does wind me up is people creating an alias with the sole intention of hiding their true identity and also trying to alienate members registered on friends lists, by sending spurious PMs. If you are intent on pretending to hide your true ID, then you should at least arm yourself with a dictionary, otherwise it's a bit like Zorro thinking that nobody will recognise him behind a tiny mask!

Personally I feel that we should all use our true identities, but also understand that in some instances it is a security issue why members choose to use a pseudonym.

I was not going to bring this subject up until another member decided he would create himself a new ID and then contact people on my Friends list in an apparent attempt to bring my integrity into question!

Your game is up mister.. I know who you are and please don't lock horns with me otherwise your troubles will multiply beyond anyone's help, and if this sounds a bit like a threat it's because it is! I will help or offer advice to anyone and although I've a great sense of humour, you do not want to get on my bad side! My day job has taught me to be ruthless and although this is controlled it can also be focused too, so please keep out of my sight picture, you have enough self inflicted problems to rectify without meddling with me!

Just do the right thing and sort things amicably!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-05-11 at 10:37 PM.
Old 17-05-11, 11:07 PM

Andy,
From my dealings with you, from knowing what your day job is and having a good insight into how you got to the position you are in today, I would say it would be hard for anyone to have any justification to question your integrity.

You have been kind enough to offer your advice to me on several occasions so if I could offer some advice to you in return, it would be not to feed the 'troll' but to deprive it of oxygen by not responding.

On the other hand, I think you have made your position very clear and woe betide anyone who does mess with you!!!!! (I wouldn't)!

Ivan
Old 17-05-11, 11:15 PM
Former Member

Ivan,
I've not got a problem with the troll, he's not as bad as he seems to paint himself... That's often the case in Fairy Tales! :

It's the slippery little creature who also hides under the bridge who should stay in the shaddows if it knows what is good for it!

Andy
Old 17-05-11, 11:17 PM

Oh I love a good fairly tale!

Does everyone live happily ever after?

Ivan
Old 17-05-11, 11:25 PM
Former Member

Ivan,
so do I!

The baddie always gets their comeuppance in the end! No matter how long the story is drawn out (Harry Potter).

Honesty is the best policy! Stray from the Path and suffer the Wrath!

Andy
Old 17-05-11, 11:41 PM

Smile

Oh yes, Harry Potter.

I like Hagrid but my favourite character is Pius Thicknesse (the Minister for Magic) just because I love the name.
Old 17-05-11, 11:49 PM
Former Member

Ivan,
I like the Harry Potter books and films too, and a bit like the Forum, I think Voldermorte is going to come to a sticky end!

Andy
Old 17-05-11, 11:52 PM

Nooooooo.

Fairly tales ALWAYS have a happy ending!

Ivan
Old 18-05-11, 02:20 AM

Andy, your integrity is rock solid IMHO. Dealings with you have always been most satisfactory and your willingness to offer opinions both on and off forum are much appreciated.
L.R
Old 18-05-11, 05:58 AM

Hi Andy

I'm fairly new to this forum but I have been a member of another one for a long time where most contributors use there real names, we have had a few trouble makers who don't post under there real names and they generally think they can say what they want because no one knows who they are.

I do realise there are security issues with giving out your complete name along with a list of valuables you possess which could be of interest to burglars ect.

But in my opinion it is just bad manners not to give at least your first name, and I find it very difficult communicating with someone who is anonymous.

Just my opinion. Rob.
Old 18-05-11, 06:11 AM

I prefer real names.
Old 18-05-11, 07:44 AM

Keith, according to your e-mails to me your real name is Doris Sidebottom

Andy, I presume you are referring to the person I have entered into debate with on another thread? I totally agree with you on this situation & if as you say he IS someone returning to the forum then his argument about his reputation here seems very bizarre indeed.
I personally use a pseudonym in most forums mainly due to a couple of reasons, one being that 'cossack' is a nickname I have had for most of my life & the second being that I have such an unusual surname it would be very easy for some disgruntled member to find my number a make a nuisance of themselves. An extreme idea maybe but when you see the behaviour of some on various forums it would not suprise me & I would rather not take the risk. Many people here do know my real name so know why it would stand out a mile!
It is just a shame that most of this is done to try & justify a bad dealers behaviour.

Regards....Andy
Old 18-05-11, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default Identities

Perhaps the only way to pacify the terriers who insist on snapping at the heels of some, is to offer open information as to who I am - for the few who don't already know. My (real) name is David Douglas - I am organiser of four militaria fairs in the north east and Scotland and I deal (mainly) in British military buttons 1780-1950. I also carry a stock of older military badges. Apart from my own fairs, I attend Bedford in May and November and I will be attending Stratford upon Avon in June. I have a Russian wife and live on a farm in rural Northumberland. There you are - not really that interesting, is it ? For the record, I have many friends on the Forum, some of whom buy from me - no names as I believe in confidentiality. To my knowledge, I have never done a 'dodgy' deal in my life but I suppose there's time !
Old 18-05-11, 02:53 PM

I too am hesitant to use my real full name as my last name is rather uncommon, and I don't want it to be all over the net for several reasons. I was under the impression that the content of my postings spoke for itself, and wasn't aware other members saw using a pseudonym as bad manners. Apologies to those who feel so.
From now on I'll use my real first name, PM me for my last name if you feel the need to know.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 18-05-11, 06:51 PM

Is there another word for pseudonym Seriously though, I always use Wilf, it's my Orasot nickname & I'm happy to do so. Most people know me as Steve too but this is not to try to cover anything . I fully understand some people's choice though & don't have a problem with it, unless you experience dodgy stuff like Andy though, that's a different ball game !!! Cheers,
Orasteviewilfalot