British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-23, 12:32 PM

Default 70th of foot?

I was field walking in Wexford, Ireland, and found this button. I was wondering if they were ever garrisoned in Wexford and in what year. I also note from the back of the button that it had a Dublin button maker which I can not make out fully. The button is copper alloy and has been silvered plated at some stage. The photos were taken with my mobile down a microscope so the quality is not the best but hope its good enough for ID. So any help would be most welcome..... thank you....Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70th.jpg (23.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 70th back.jpg (39.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-01-23, 12:38 AM

Hi there,

I can just about make out 'DAME St DUBLIN' - and the first Button manufacturer that comes to mind is 'J. CROKER', as the backmarks on buttons had that address.
There may have been other button manufacturers in that Street as well, but his is the first name that comes to mind.

Ian
Old 10-01-23, 11:28 AM

Ian... Thank you. I wonder if there is a directory of business For Dublin from the late 1700's? Maybe I will be able to find something there. What date do you put on the button? I am hoping its late 1700's and not 1800's.....paul