British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-23, 03:14 PM

Default Correctly badged battledress?

I would appreciate some advice, both theblouse and the tunic are in the same lot. The tunic has indian army ordnance corps buttons and badges, as well as wings over the breast pocket.
The blouse has a devons shoulder title with a 46th division formation sign. I dont understand the battalion and brigade bars as this is fairly new to me.
After some quick research it would appear that theorder of battle has no mention of any devons within it.
Are these items correctly badged? This is in a local auction house and would be fun to attend, but as i admitted this is all fairly new to me and dont want to make a mistake.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-03-23, 06:21 PM

Default BD badges

Under the brigade stripes on the battledress there is a 77th Div patch which was raised in Devon and Cornwall as to whether someone has added the 46th Div patch to fill the sleeve up is anybodies guess.

Rob
Old 12-03-23, 06:34 PM

Thats not a 77th Division formation sign, its a distinction worn by the 4th TA Bn of the Devonshire Regiment.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53410.jpg (31.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-03-23, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thats not a 77th Division formation sign, its a distinction worn by the 4th TA Bn of the Devonshire Regiment.

Rob
Thanks for quick replies.
So that bit checks out, would it have been possible that they served in the 46th division?
Old 12-03-23, 07:56 PM

Whenever you are viewing a British army battledress, always open them and look for a large white cotton label sewn inside. This will give you details of the pattern and date of manufacture amongst other things.

Here is an example from another thread.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...0&d=1565428584

It seems to be a common practice amongst fakers to rebadge post war tunics with wartime issued badges in order to fleece the unwary. As always, do your homework before buying.

Last edited by High Wood; 12-03-23 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-03-23, 08:29 PM

Default Wrong ID

Quote:

Rob

Thanks for that Rob at first glance it looked like a 77th Div sign, it must be my new glasses . . !

Rob
Old 12-03-23, 09:28 PM

The blouse is dated jan 43 and manufactured by an american sports company so presumably a war aid blouse
Old 13-03-23, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Rob
Although 4 Devons never served as a battalion in 46 Inf Div, the BD blouse as badged could have been worn by a Staff Officer (whose parent regiment was the Devons) while serving on the staff of HQ 138 Inf Bde (of 46 Inf Div).
Old 13-03-23, 04:54 PM

Without close up photos of the insignia to show the sewing style etc., it is not possible to determine if it is all period; and even with that, it can sometimes be impossible to be sure.
I would be very wary of a mint condition blouse all badged up like this however.

CB
Old 13-03-23, 05:07 PM

Why ??? recently purchased 2 scarce near mint badged battle dress -luckily they were named even if not named I would have been happy with them
David
[No bargains in this Exeter sale now]
Old 13-03-23, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, i was planning on viewing the items but wanted to clarify whether the insignia was correct first.
Perhaps i should give this one a miss just to be on the safeside?
Im really not in a situation to make a duff purchase which is why I keep asking for advice. I have to budget every month and a purchase like this would be ok only if i was sure everything checked out.
Again, thank you to everyone for the sound advice, much appreciated
Old 23-03-23, 04:41 PM

From what I understand US War Aid uniforms were issued to British troops during the Italian campaign. So I would expect to see 50th Northumbrian division formation signs for the 2nd battalion?
Old 23-03-23, 05:32 PM

Hammer price £550, a lot more than I would have guessed.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...9-afc100ae19cc