British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-22, 04:09 PM

This is intriguing. Turning to the wealth of general histories of the regiments that blossomed on the eve of and following the 1881 Childers amalgamations, we find a fairly consistent account of the commemorative 'black worm', although the inconsistencies are perplexing and none of the works are exempt. I have not had access to Perry's 1887 Rank and Badges, [etc] but I presume that broadly speaking it will share the strengths and weaknesses common to the period as found in the works listed here.

The Regiments of the British Army, Chronologically Arranged Richard Trimens, [Major] 1878
The British Army : Its Regimental Records Badges Devices [etc] J.H Lawrence-Archer, 1888
Her Majesty's Army; a descriptive account of the various regiments...[etc] 4 vols. Walter Richards 1890
The British Army and Auxiliary Forces C. Cooper King [Colonel] 1893
The Records and Badges of Every Regiment and Corps in the British Army, H.M. Chichester [late 85th] & G. Burges-Short [Major]1895
The regimental records of the British Army : a historical résumé chronologically arranged of titles, campaigns, honours, uniforms, facings, badges, nicknames, [etc] John Farmer, 1901

In his brief summary of the old regiments in the years immediately preceding the Childers amalgamations, Major Richard Trimens, late the 35th, only mentions two regiments wearing a black worm in their lace: the 13th PAO Somersetshire LI, citing a traditional association with Culloden, and the 47th who wore the ornament as "an expression of sorrow" for the death of General Wolfe at Quebec.

The more thorough Major John Lawrence-Archer, late the 60th, (1888) refers to "seven English territorial regiments, in which the gold lace now worn— of the English rose pattern-is distinguished by a black stripe introduced at top and bottom" but only details five -the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, Leicestershires, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs. He only hints at an origin of this distinction in describing the custom of the Somerset LI as "a peculiarity which has occasioned many conjectures." Well, quite.

In Walter Richards' cumbersome 4-volume work of 1890, again five regiments are cited as having a black line in the gold lace of the officers' tunics. He identifies the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs, but omits the Leicesters and adds the Norfolks, and offers no explanation for the custom.

Colonel C. Cooper-King in 1893 lists the same five regiments as Lawrence-Archer: the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, Leicestershires, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs among those whose officers sporting gold lace with "a black stripe top and bottom" but suggests the distinction was shared among eight rather than seven regiments. He is sceptical as to the traditional explanation offered by the Somersetshire LI (Culloden, or perhaps Quebec -"little evidence") and by the East Yorks and East Surreys (both said to be in remembrance of Wolfe's death "but the origin of the custom is obscure").

Chichester and Burges-Short's lavish and encyclopaedic compilation of 1895 "Records and Badges of Every Regiment and corps in the British Army" refers to "seven English Territorial Regiments in which the gold lace of the ordinary English rose pattern is distinguished by a black line introduced at top and bottom" but only lists six of them: The Norfolks, worn in association with the burial of Sir John Moore (first mention); Somerset LI, "believed" to date from the time of Culloden; "Possibly...some forgotten connection with the battle of Fontenoy."
For The East Yorks, Leicesters, East Surrey and Loyal North Lancs, no origin is offered, whether relating to Wolfe or any other tradition.

However, to the tradition shared by seven English Territorial regiments, the authors add that of the Gordon Highlanders whose officers' "Lace- Gold, Thistle pattern" sported "a black stripe introduced at top and bottom...the only Scottish Territorial regiment having the latter distinction" but again, no explanation is offered.

Farmer (1901) only mentions the Loyal North Lancs who wore the black worm "in memory of the Hero of Quebec."

There are one or two regiments who appear consistently to have been omitted from these lists. Which they might have been I couldn't say. Presumably the differing total stems from an accounting error on someone's part.
I was unable to find any reference to the Connaught Rangers, but the relevant page was missing from the online copy of Lawrence-Archer, and I only had limited access to the Chichester & Burges-Short. Certainly, the 88th had no connection to either Wolfe or Moore.
Evidently, these traditions coalesce around Culloden /?Fontenoy, and the deaths of Maj Gen Wolfe and Sir John Moore, although any firm historical reference is lacking. It may be relevant that in the Cannon "Historical Records" relating to the above regiments (9th, 13th, 15th, 17th & 31st - none produced for the 47th) published between 1843-1849 there is no reference at all to a distinctive black line in officers' lace. That at least is consistent.

More recent regimental histories may contain discussions that are more enlightening.

Last edited by jf42; 29-12-22 at 04:26 PM.
Old 30-12-22, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
This is intriguing. Turning to the wealth of general histories of the regiments that blossomed on the eve of and following the 1881 Childers amalgamations, we find a fairly consistent account of the commemorative 'black worm', although the inconsistencies are perplexing and none of the works are exempt. I have not had access to Perry's 1887 Rank and Badges, [etc] but I presume that broadly speaking it will share the strengths and weaknesses common to the period as found in the works listed here.

The Regiments of the British Army, Chronologically Arranged Richard Trimens, [Major] 1878
The British Army : Its Regimental Records Badges Devices [etc] J.H Lawrence-Archer, 1888
Her Majesty's Army; a descriptive account of the various regiments...[etc] 4 vols. Walter Richards 1890
The British Army and Auxiliary Forces C. Cooper King [Colonel] 1893
The Records and Badges of Every Regiment and Corps in the British Army, H.M. Chichester [late 85th] & G. Burges-Short [Major]1895
The regimental records of the British Army : a historical résumé chronologically arranged of titles, campaigns, honours, uniforms, facings, badges, nicknames, [etc] John Farmer, 1901

In his brief summary of the old regiments in the years immediately preceding the Childers amalgamations, Major Richard Trimens, late the 35th, only mentions two regiments wearing a black worm in their lace: the 13th PAO Somersetshire LI, citing a traditional association with Culloden, and the 47th who wore the ornament as "an expression of sorrow" for the death of General Wolfe at Quebec.

The more thorough Major John Lawrence-Archer, late the 60th, (1888) refers to "seven English territorial regiments, in which the gold lace now worn— of the English rose pattern-is distinguished by a black stripe introduced at top and bottom" but only details five -the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, Leicestershires, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs. He only hints at an origin of this distinction in describing the custom of the Somerset LI as "a peculiarity which has occasioned many conjectures." Well, quite.

In Walter Richards' cumbersome 4-volume work of 1890, again five regiments are cited as having a black line in the gold lace of the officers' tunics. He identifies the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs, but omits the Leicesters and adds the Norfolks, and offers no explanation for the custom.

Colonel C. Cooper-King in 1893 lists the same five regiments as Lawrence-Archer: the Somersetshire LI, East Yorks, Leicestershires, East Surreys and the Loyal North Lancs among those whose officers sporting gold lace with "a black stripe top and bottom" but suggests the distinction was shared among eight rather than seven regiments. He is sceptical as to the traditional explanation offered by the Somersetshire LI (Culloden, or perhaps Quebec -"little evidence") and by the East Yorks and East Surreys (both said to be in remembrance of Wolfe's death "but the origin of the custom is obscure").

Chichester and Burges-Short's lavish and encyclopaedic compilation of 1895 "Records and Badges of Every Regiment and corps in the British Army" refers to "seven English Territorial Regiments in which the gold lace of the ordinary English rose pattern is distinguished by a black line introduced at top and bottom" but only lists six of them: The Norfolks, worn in association with the burial of Sir John Moore (first mention); Somerset LI, "believed" to date from the time of Culloden; "Possibly...some forgotten connection with the battle of Fontenoy."
For The East Yorks, Leicesters, East Surrey and Loyal North Lancs, no origin is offered, whether relating to Wolfe or any other tradition.

However, to the tradition shared by seven English Territorial regiments, the authors add that of the Gordon Highlanders whose officers' "Lace- Gold, Thistle pattern" sported "a black stripe introduced at top and bottom...the only Scottish Territorial regiment having the latter distinction" but again, no explanation is offered.

Farmer (1901) only mentions the Loyal North Lancs who wore the black worm "in memory of the Hero of Quebec."

There are one or two regiments who appear consistently to have been omitted from these lists. Which they might have been I couldn't say. Presumably the differing total stems from an accounting error on someone's part.
I was unable to find any reference to the Connaught Rangers, but the relevant page was missing from the online copy of Lawrence-Archer, and I only had limited access to the Chichester & Burges-Short. Certainly, the 88th had no connection to either Wolfe or Moore.
Evidently, these traditions coalesce around Culloden /?Fontenoy, and the deaths of Maj Gen Wolfe and Sir John Moore, although any firm historical reference is lacking. It may be relevant that in the Cannon "Historical Records" relating to the above regiments (9th, 13th, 15th, 17th & 31st - none produced for the 47th) published between 1843-1849 there is no reference at all to a distinctive black line in officers' lace. That at least is consistent.

More recent regimental histories may contain discussions that are more enlightening.
Thank you for your thorough and extremely interesting reply Jack, once again revealing that much information has been lost in the past, which cannot help but throw some small seeds of doubt on received wisdom regurgitated over centuries in successive publications. I recall since decades past, that various regimental legends have been of interest to you, from the plumes/hackles of regiments like the Black Watch and Northumberland Fusiliers, to the Roses of Minden and the Brandywine/Paoli flashes of light companies in America, and now the Black Worm in regimental lace (as it originally was). These regiments may not have had Public Relations departments but they could certainly spin up a yarn and, like you, I am sceptical of some of the claims. I am glad that I served in a regiment whose now famous flash of black ribbons was meticulously recorded with dates, and official letters and even the direct involvement of Sovereigns of the realm. Some others do not seem to have the same undeniable evidence, but do have the good fortune of plausible mists of time in which things might have been lost.

I have some of the publications you mentioned, but only those in single volume form. If you do not have PERRY I strongly recommend that you look out for it, it has an enormously diverse range of information that makes the outlay worthwhile. It was reprinted by Ray Westlake Publications some decades back and is usually affordable.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-12-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 30-12-22, 05:00 PM

"Decades past"- lawks! Not more than one, surely, or, technically perhaps, two.
Yes, those investigations afforded hours of happy absorption and any amount of tangential knowledge acquired sideways. You'll be amused to know the Black Watch story still bubbles away on the back burner, a high point being locating the grave of an old 42nd veteran of Alexandria in the shadow of Fort George as small arms fire crackled away on the headland, red hackles flashing above the gorse. I asked a young jock on the gate what was the best thing about being stationed at Fort George. "The road out, " came the reply.

I shall first have a dip into the copy of Perry held at the British Library, next time I visit London. Logistics require that for the time being I lighten my bookshelves rather than load them further.

ATB
JF
Old 30-12-22, 05:17 PM

Default Badge Backings & Special Embelishments Of The British Army

Reading the above book and noted on page 142,

The Gordon Highlanders 75th & 92nd,

The Gordon Highlanders wear black spat buttons (unlike any other Regiment)

In perpetual mourning for Sir John Moore.

best regards John
Old 31-12-22, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalryman View Post
Reading the above book and noted on page 142,

The Gordon Highlanders 75th & 92nd,

The Gordon Highlanders wear black spat buttons (unlike any other Regiment)

In perpetual mourning for Sir John Moore.

best regards John
That is certainly the popular tradition. It is interesting that Cannon's 'Historical Record of the Ninety Second'[etc] of 1851 makes no mention of such a gesture- although this can hardly be conclusive, since his 1845 'Historical Record of the Forty-second'[etc] makes no mention of the Red Hackle.

However, more convincing perhaps is Lieut Col Charles Gardyne's 'Life of a Regiment. The History of the Gordon Highlanders' [etc] of 1901, which is also silent on the matter of black buttons but says of the aftermath of Corunna "The whole array lamented the death of the good and gallant Sir John Moore, under whom the Gordon Highlanders had served so constantly, both in peace and war. They had peculiar reasons to love and respect him, and the officers changed the blue line in their lace to black, which is still worn in his memory."

I find myself wondering whether a detail in that particular item of clothing would have been considered a dignified memorial to the popular commander of whom it was said "every man in the regiment adored, and to whom he was more like an affectionate father then a commanding officer."
In addition, it would to some degree have been considered a memorial to the Gordons' commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Napier, who they also lost that day.
https://archive.org/details/lifeareg...ode/2up?q=lace

Last edited by jf42; 31-12-22 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 31-12-22, 06:38 PM

For good measure, and to broaden the picture, I'll add to the mix this item from Chambers Journal which I overlooked earlier:

Chambers Journal, 24 September 1892

[re.Culloden] Another regiment, the 13th, commemorates its terrible loss on the same field in a different fashion: the officers wear perennial mourning in the shape of a black stripe in their gold lace.

This kind of perpetual mourning is not, however, peculiar to the 13th. The 65th and 84th have black-edged lace on the officers' tunics, in memory, it is said, of the loss they sustained on the Nive in 1813; and black gloves used to be worn by the 84th to commemorate the same event. Some other corps have the black stripe in their gold lace, but it seems to be very doubtful for what reasons. In certain cases it is supposed to be a symbol of mourning for General Wolfe or Sir John Moore; in others, for heavy losses in action.
Old 02-01-23, 12:00 PM

Quote:
For good measure, and to broaden the picture, I'll add to the mix this item from Chambers Journal which I overlooked earlier:

Chambers Journal, 24 September 1892

[re.Culloden] Another regiment, the 13th, commemorates its terrible loss on the same field in a different fashion: the officers wear perennial mourning in the shape of a black stripe in their gold lace.

This kind of perpetual mourning is not, however, peculiar to the 13th. The 65th and 84th have black-edged lace on the officers' tunics, in memory, it is said, of the loss they sustained on the Nive in 1813; and black gloves used to be worn by the 84th to commemorate the same event. Some other corps have the black stripe in their gold lace, but it seems to be very doubtful for what reasons. In certain cases it is supposed to be a symbol of mourning for General Wolfe or Sir John Moore; in others, for heavy losses in action.
Absolutely fascinating stuff Jack and proof I think that where traditions are alleged to have begun, or relate to events in the 1700s, then it becomes increasingly difficult to ascertain their veracity with any sense of certainty. You have really opened my eyes with this thread in respect of black appointments supposedly associated with mourning.
As regards the PERRY book, you should note that it is only 6.5 inches by 4 inches and 1 and 3/4 inches thick. In the US copies are going for over $100, but in the U.K. I’ve found one for sub £20 and an original for not much more. The diverse range of information with which it’s packed makes it money well spent and there’s rarely a week goes by that I don’t consult within it. See current advert below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E269DAD2-F969-4019-8AB1-50A8A7A8CDEE.jpg (32.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 05-01-23 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-01-23, 10:10 AM

Text Deleted
Old 05-01-23, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Absolutely fascinating stuff Jack and proof I think that where traditions are alleged to have begun, or relate to events in the 1700s, then it becomes increasingly difficult to ascertain their veracity with any sense of certainty. You have really opened my eyes with this thread in respect of black appointments supposedly associated with mourning.
As regards the PERRY book, you should note that it is only 6.5 inches by 4 inches and 1 and 3/4 inches thick. In the US copies are going for over $100, but in the U.K. I’ve found one for sub £20 and an original for not much more. The diverse range of information with which it’s packed makes it well spent and there’s rarely a week goes by that I don’t consult within it. See current advert below.
I am pleased the notes were of interest. As I think you know I am not seeking to 'debunk' but rather simply to identify the origins of these traditions- although I am struck how quickly some crumble under the slightest scrutiny. They all serve a purpose however. I do think, though, that it is useful to make distinction between historical probability and an appealing tale from the past told and retold around a mess table or camp fire. Sometimes the underlying facts can reveal a human truth as interesting as the tale.

Enough o' that. Thank you for the PERRY link. I'm looking into it
Old 05-01-23, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I am pleased the notes were of interest. As I think you know I am not seeking to 'debunk' but rather simply to identify the origins of these traditions- although I am struck how quickly some crumble under the slightest scrutiny. They all serve a purpose however. I do think, though, that it is useful to make distinction between historical probability and an appealing tale from the past told and retold around a mess table or camp fire. Sometimes the underlying facts can reveal a human truth as interesting as the tale.

Enough o' that. Thank you for the PERRY link. I'm looking into it
Yes I agree with your concluding remarks Jack and did indeed realise your overarching intent.

You won’t be disappointed with PERRY. The rank details alone are useful for reference, but it’s the sheer breadth of the material that is quite astonishing. I don’t think anyone would trouble to publish such a work today.