British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-22, 09:47 AM

Default ATS printed shoulder titles

Hi All,

I've picked up these printed shoulder titles and I'm really not very good art all when it comes to cloth items.

What do people think, real or repro?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221121_094211.jpg (97.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20221121_094321.jpg (90.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 21-11-22, 08:58 PM

Both examples from my collection have stitching around the outside, I presume to prevent fraying? That is also what I found from a quick internet search. However, I do like them and my impression is that they are original.
Old 21-11-22, 09:02 PM

Thanks Luc,

I have to say that lack of stitching around the edge is one of the things I was worried about. The other printed titles I have all have stitched edges.

These do appear to be made of the same material as some home guard printed numbers I have, I just can't decide what to think.

Michael
Old 22-11-22, 12:15 AM

I only have one very basic book on cloth insignia and it shows such slip-ons without the stitching around the outer edge. The construction looks OK to me, but what struck me was they look so pristine to be so old??? Other than that I like them.

Bottom line I am happy with them.

Terry
Old 22-11-22, 03:36 AM

I have my doubts about these two ATS titles.

The material printed on does not match other slip on titles I have seen. The two appear to be of different weaves but the ATS stamps are identical.

The cross bar of the 'A' is skew whereas genuine examples looked at is straight and broader.

The stitching of the attachment tabs look like it has been done with a modern machine.

I recall some time back that there was someone making these for reenactment purposes.

So they are either reenactment copies or very unusual originals that dont match the standard pattern.
Old 22-11-22, 03:52 AM

I have continued my research and found the the example in my book is an Indian made slip-on which is IEME, but made exactly like these. I wonder if that might explain their validity?

Terry
Old 22-11-22, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
I have my doubts about these two ATS titles.

The material printed on does not match other slip on titles I have seen. The two appear to be of different weaves but the ATS stamps are identical.

The cross bar of the 'A' is skew whereas genuine examples looked at is straight and broader.

The stitching of the attachment tabs look like it has been done with a modern machine.

I recall some time back that there was someone making these for reenactment purposes.

So they are either reenactment copies or very unusual originals that dont match the standard pattern.
I agree with Milmed, I'm not convinced by them having looked at some other examples online, they just look too 'sloppy' - the sloping portion of the A, the horizontal on the T is ever so slightly askew, the stitching for the strap, if you were issued those I think you'd be straight back to stores asking for another set.
Old 22-11-22, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm really in two minds about these. It would be nice to find another example in the same style that would decide one way or the other.

Michael
Old 22-11-22, 10:33 AM

Hi, there are a pair on germanmilitaria.com (nothing to do with me just found them on a search), they look more like what I would have expected for a period item