British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-22, 10:46 AM

Default UK 32 Signal Regiment Officer Cap Badge Variation

Recently I was able to acquire a Tam O'Shanter for an officer in the British Army Reserve 32 Signal Regiment. I already have an officer glengarry for the unit in my collection and the first thing I noticed were the differences in the cap badges.

I think a lot of us on this forum are familiar with Chris Walker's excellent Signals Badges website. If you are not, I highly recommend you visit, as Chris captures Signal Corps insignia from the UK and Commonwealth countries, often accompanied with pictures of soldiers wearing the insignia. Here is the link:

http://www.signalsbadges.co.uk/

Chris has several examples of the 32 Signal Regiment officer cap badge on his site. All of them are similar in construction to the cap badge from the glengarry. However, the badge for the TOS is different. First, it is smaller than the glengarry badge. Second, instead of using the Signal Corps bi-metal cap badge with separate crown attached to the garter and saltire, the TOS badge has a one-piece, all bronze Jimmy. It is also pretty crudely made.

At first, I was not sure what to think about the difference in construction. I know the TOS and badge are authentic, because I received them directly from the 32's QM. I did a bit more research on Chris' site and he states the Regiment's badges are made locally. So, it appears the difference is due to who made the badge. One thought is the TOS is for a Warrant Officer or junior officer. The QM is sending me the name of the owner when they come back from leave. I will update this thread with the rank at that time.

Of note is the members of the Regiment's 40 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron based in Belfast, Northern Ireland appear to wear a blue caubeen instead of a TOS while in Number 2 Dress.

Last edited by Reid10; 31-07-22 at 10:51 AM.
Old 31-08-22, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

There is no rank differential between the badges but as you say just the quality of the manufacture. Neither is there a badge for a different hat: it's the same badge for any hat. The badges have been worn for quite a few years and quality varies.
Old 31-08-22, 11:49 AM

Default 32 Signal Regiment TOS Badge

Dear Reid10.

Very many thanks for the plug for my little web site. It is much appreciated.

Very interesting TOS Badge.

I have no hard and fast answer to the manufacture of this badge but I do agree that the Jimmy and Crown are somewhat crude compared to the many I have seen over the years.

I will watch with great interest to see what other members of the Forum have to say about this particular example. Not the quality I would expect to be worn by an officer or even other ranks of the Regiment in my opinion.

Below is an example of Lt Col Culleys TOS and Glengarry hats with the badge he wore when he was a very early CO of the then 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment TA that was recently sold on I think ebay. Thought it may be of interest to see this example. I do show this example or one like it on my little site.

Many thanks for the sight of this badge.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500 (2).jpg (47.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (3).jpg (47.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (68.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 22-10-22, 12:15 PM

Chris,

I have the bio for the 32 Signal Regiment officer who wore the TOS and a picture of him wearing it. Prior to being commissioned, he was a WO1. He served as the QM for the Regiment, which makes me wonder if he chose to wear a badge that was in the Regiment's stores. I can send the bio through PM, if you are interested.

While it is crudely made compared to the other officer cap badge I have, I think its construction makes it very unique. I have never seen another like it, and I know it is genuine.

If it is of interest, please feel free to post it to your site as another variation of the 32 Signal Regiment officer cap badge.

Regards,

Reid
Old 22-10-22, 04:41 PM

One thing I noticed in Chris's pictures is that it appears that there is no set pattern/orientation to the tartan backing. Just a piece of tartan is what is required. I know that is evident in other regiments to make the most of available tartan material. Is there anything documented about this for 32 Signals?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 22-10-22, 05:49 PM

I have a couple of these badges and they are quite different from each other
the first also doesn't have the bi-metal Jimmy but appears cast and gilt to the
reverse and silvered on the front

IMG_20210328_111505.jpgIMG_20210328_111453.jpg
Old 03-11-22, 08:30 AM

Thank you for posting your badges, Neil. I might reach out to the Regiment and ask where they purchase the badges from and if they can tell me more about the variations.

Whatever the construction, I think the 32 Signal Regiment has one of the most attractive badges of the remaining Scottish units.

Now I just need to find a Signal Corps piper badge…