British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-22, 02:16 PM

Default Loyal Regiment black rank insignia

Greetings, I recently came upon a reference in on-line chat to the Loyal Regiment having a black component in their rank insignia, kept to perpetuate the black thread in their regimental 'lace,' (supposedly added to commemorate Wolfe's death at Quebec).

Does this have any basis in fact (not the regimental lace but the later insignia)?
Old 29-11-22, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
Greetings, I recently came upon a reference in on-line chat to the Loyal Regiment having a black component in their rank insignia, kept to perpetuate the black thread in their regimental 'lace,' (supposedly added to commemorate Wolfe's death at Quebec).

Does this have any basis in fact (not the regimental lace but the later insignia)?
Yes it’s true and the Loyals were one of four infantry regiments that observed that tradition, which is now all but forgotten. All those regiments served under Wolfe’s command at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham at Quebec. They were the 15th (East Yorks), 17th (Leicestershire), 31st (East Surrey), and 47th (Loyals). Originally this was reflected via a black worm (thread) in each regiment’s special coatee lace (worn by rank and file), but in later years just the officers maintained the tradition via either, a black thread woven into the twisted gilt cords worn as shoulder straps and bearing rank badges (modern day blue patrols), or in the gold lace decoration of collars and cuffs (final pattern full dress - see below).

NB. At least one, possibly two successor regiments still observe the tradition via twisted gold shoulder cords with black worm.
Image shows mess dress jacket cords of Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment as successor to the Loyals. The other is I believe the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment as successors to the East Surrey’s.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 29-11-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 29-11-22, 05:56 PM

Ah, thanks Toby. That makes more sense. The inference seemed to be that the 47th had black rank insignia as worn by rifle regiments which seemed odd, but I see now the author's description that the 47th in the 1890s "wore black rank badges but they were not a rifle regiment" was a touch misleading.
Old 29-11-22, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
Ah, thanks Toby. That makes more sense. The inference seemed to be that the 47th had black rank insignia as worn by rifle regiments which seemed odd, but I see now the author's description that the 47th in the 1890s "wore black rank badges but they were not a rifle regiment" was a touch misleading.
Hello JF, my old VWF associate, I’m glad you found it helpful. Yes, that’s a very misleading statement and can only be a misunderstanding.
Best wishes as ever,
Bob

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 29-11-22 at 10:58 PM.
Old 29-11-22, 11:36 PM
LYPAO Boff

....I saw the black in the Royal Anglian shoulders boards when I was in the 7th (V) Battalion R.Ang. Thats when I found out about why it was worn..... I seem to remember that part of our toast was an acknowledgment to Gen. Wolf? (long time ago... memory is failing)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 30-11-22, 12:51 AM

Must not forget the Gordons also sported the black line on officer full dress tunics and black buttons on the spats of all ranks in memory of Sir John Moore.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (49.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.jpg (43.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 30-11-22, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
....I saw the black in the Royal Anglian shoulders boards when I was in the 7th (V) Battalion R.Ang. Thats when I found out about why it was worn..... I seem to remember that part of our toast was an acknowledgment to Gen. Wolf? (long time ago... memory is failing)
I’ve been trying to ascertain if all of the successor regiments have maintained the tradition, but so far without reaching a confident conclusion. The infantry has been so badly cut that trying to maintain the so-called golden thread of lineage has proven increasingly difficult and not all traditions have been possible to maintain.

There are two books listing most of these traditions that can usually be found pre owned online at little cost. One by Arthur Taylor and one by Ian F W Beckett. Both have been republished a few times I think.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-11-22 at 11:28 AM.