British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-08, 07:19 PM

Locally made bronze AAC cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aac3.jpg (89.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 19-12-08, 06:55 PM

Default KDG Pre 1915 White Metal Eagle Arm Badge

When the KDG, who were stationed in India in 1914, heard of the outbreak of WW1; it didn't take long for them to feel VERY uncomfortable about wearing the Austrian (double headed) eagle as a badge. As a result, the War Office eventually agreed to replace it (at the Regiment's request) with the 1915-1938 pattern star and garter badge. A consequence of this decision was that the Sgt's silver (hallmarked) arm badge (L&D 5.3 HMS) was withdrawn by the War Office and the Corporals were told to remove their WM variant (L&D 5.3 WM). It is very probable that the intensely patriotic Victorian/Edwardian JNCOs were only too glad to remove it and in most cases would have thrown them in the bin or at best at the back of a drawer.
Dec 1914 they arrived in France sans arm badges but still wearing the eagle cap badge as the star and garter variant was yet to be sealed. There they stayed and fought until 1917 when they returned to India. From India to Iraq and Afghanistan (de ja vue?) and finally home to the UK in 1921.
One wonders how many bothered to keep the WM arm badge as a keepsake or in some forlorn hope that it might be worn again and brought it back to the UK.
Because of these reasons, this badge is in all probability one of THE rarest badges around as most of them lie at the bottom of Edwardian Indian landfill sites. I know of only 2 in existence. I attach a pic of it front and rear and would very much appreciate and feedback as to the locations of any other examples....
Over to you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WM AB F.jpg (92.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg WM AB R.jpg (59.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 21-08-16, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I have finally found this badge; (ironically sold to me by a Canadian dealer who is a member of the forum). If it is not the rarest badge that I own, (although I suspect that it might be), judging by the last Bosley's postal auction it is the most expensive badge that I have. Ironically it is both post war and plastic. Apparently they were made from 1952 for the KRRC by the London Association for the Blind and only 3500 were made in total. I have been after this one for the last 5 years so a long wait.

enjoy

Alan
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3518000261...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well we will have to see what this ones go for. I expect a few last minute snipes from a couple of dealers.
Old 21-08-16, 04:49 PM

Interesting to see this being sold by this particular seller amongst his other items, which include the Parachute Regiment "hat" badge, which is described as "used" although, one does tend wonder by who, exactly?
Old 21-08-16, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well they have lucked in with this one gem amongst a number of repro items. Andy Plewa was the buyer.
Old 21-08-16, 06:01 PM

Hi Neville, I would love to see those photographs. Any chance of posting them? Regards Andrew
Old 21-08-16, 06:10 PM

My rarest item must be the Stanger Mounted Rifles helmet plate. I am told that only one other Stanger Mounted Rifles badge has survived, which is a cap badge. I believe it is in the UK, but don't know where. Regards Andrew
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=5876
Old 21-08-16, 06:50 PM

My rarest item is probably the Tripolitania Police Certificate of Appointment.

Regards

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06Feb2016 001b.jpg (63.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 06Feb2016 006b.jpg (100.9 KB, 24 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 22-08-16, 02:36 AM

Default New thread needed!

Rather than extend this thread too much further, I think we need a new thread on the rarest Australian badges. Some collectors have the odd one thought to be unique. That means RARE.
Slickmick posted the Gippsland Pioneers badge on the Forum a few years ago, apparently worn 1918-21 only.
I have never seen a reference to the Permanent Staff badge, not even sure if it is military. Does anyone know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GippsPion.jpg (72.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PermStaffAust1.jpg (64.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 22-08-16, 03:09 AM

Default Why "S A" not "ZAR"?

The provenance of this badge does not prove that it was worn by the Staats Artillerie in Transvaal of OFS. It is more likely to have been a badge worn in English-speaking South Africa.
I have a photo somewhere in my badge file of a Boer slouch hat with the letters ZAR, can't find it at present. Have attached a scan of a ZARP wearing these letters on his collar. I am by no means an expert on Boer badges, a theory only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZARP1A.jpg (62.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 22-08-16, 06:44 AM

It is hard to choose a 'rarest item', but this one may interest the forum.
I put it on the forum a couple of years ago asking how to preserve the leather. I had plenty of responses, but no one paid attention to the clasp.
(The correct answer is: if you do not plan to use it, leave leather as it is)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3828k.jpg (23.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 22-08-16, 08:19 AM

Default Scouts Badge

My scouts badge 1st class to a 21st Lancer, not my most expensive badge but not an easy one to find . The other 2 badges are for scale

Best Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160820_214259.jpg (24.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 22-08-16, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
The provenance of this badge does not prove that it was worn by the Staats Artillerie in Transvaal of OFS. It is more likely to have been a badge worn in English-speaking South Africa.
I have a photo somewhere in my badge file of a Boer slouch hat with the letters ZAR, can't find it at present. Have attached a scan of a ZARP wearing these letters on his collar. I am by no means an expert on Boer badges, a theory only.
Hi, thank for the answer. I have ZARP letters in my collection(predecessor of the ZAR). They were worn by the police. I have seen a slouch hat with SA on(Staats Artillerie/State Artillery). I have never seen the pattern letters shown here before. Interested in the rest of the photographs, who knows what may be amongst them. Regards Andrew
Old 22-08-16, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
It is hard to choose a 'rarest item', but this one may interest the forum.
I put it on the forum a couple of years ago asking how to preserve the leather. I had plenty of responses, but no one paid attention to the clasp.
(The correct answer is: if you do not plan to use it, leave leather as it is)
And the buckle is to who or what unit.

Thanks
Old 22-08-16, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
And the buckle is to who or what unit.
Thanks
Pretoria Volunteer Corps before the Boer War