British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-21, 04:11 PM

Default Unknown Dragon Collar

Is anyone able to ID this dragon collar please? I know I have seen it before but cannot find a reference to it. As it has a loop in the tail it is more likely to be Welsh than anything else. Definitely doesn't fit with Buffs or Berks.
It is quite small but very detailed and looks to have been gilded. It is of a different pattern to any of the usual Welsh collars I have for both yeomanry & infantry, including volunteers.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1150CB93-C752-431D-AF8A-C6047991FEC5.jpg (118.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg E940031A-76B9-4C68-9203-5A2D15A421CD.jpg (119.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 20-01-21, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Is anyone able to ID this dragon collar please? I know I have seen it before but cannot find a reference to it. As it has a loop in the tail it is more likely to be Welsh than anything else. Definitely doesn't fit with Buffs or Berks.
It is quite small but very detailed and looks to have been gilded. It is of a different pattern to any of the usual Welsh collars I have for both yeomanry & infantry, including volunteers.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
I have a pair of facing bronze ones. These came from the Gaunt stuff the NAM was chucking out.

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 20-01-21 at 04:29 PM.
Old 20-01-21, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I have a pair of facing bronze ones. These came from the Gaunt stuff the NAM was chucking out and were bagged along with small MYC 'titles', none of which had loops or fittings. I have posted them on here before, post #28.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ryshire&page=2
The National Army Museum was chucking out ? Who the fcuk are they to chuck stuff out ?? Stuff they had probably been donated !!! When was this then, id like to know ?
Andy
Old 20-01-21, 04:25 PM

Not the same pattern Keith. Yours were just unfinished MYC items.
Old 20-01-21, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
The National Army Museum was chucking out ? Who the fcuk are they to chuck stuff out ?? Stuff they had probably been donated !!! When was this then, id like to know ?
Andy
I've had to edit that post as I was getting confused with the Montgomeryshire badges I got at the same time, I need to scan the ones which match Kevin's and re-post.

The NAM moved a lot of stuff which came from Gaunt's factory after the fire (at Gaunt's), the vast majority went through DNW but a couple of boxes didn't, that's all I'm saying.
Old 20-01-21, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Not the same pattern Keith. Yours were just unfinished MYC items.
Sorry Kevin,

All my photos are backed up in Dropbox which I can access through my phone but not the pc I'm working on, I try and do stuff from memory which is not what is was I'm afraid.

Here's the correct picture .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5317.jpg (66.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 20-01-21, 08:26 PM

That’s the pattern Keith, thanks for taking the time to dig them out. Mine is definitely gilded now I’ve cleaned it. Beautiful detail for a small badge. The photo doesn’t do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 732EF60C-999B-4415-BD99-2C5975E072AE.jpg (53.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 21-01-21, 07:22 AM

Default Dragons

Hi all

There’s a pair of MIY dragons on

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.php?ps=1#prettyPhoto

3748 Hussar

Last edited by 3748 Hussar; 21-01-21 at 07:26 AM. Reason: .
Old 21-01-21, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Andy
One of the many problems museums face - lack of space, no money, etc, etc - is what to do with stuff which is donated but of no earthly use to them. The 15th example of an ASC badge, which somebody's dear old dad said in his will should go to the NAM. Or the uniform bits that "I was going to take to the rubbish tip until I thought of you.'

The preemeptive solution to this problem is to gently say 'Thank you very much but, no.' This happens far too rarely, for various reasons, and so we're left with the unspeakable horror of a museum - sacred repository - binning or selling things.
Old 21-01-21, 03:37 PM

Over here if a vet or family wants to donate items ot one of the national museums they have to sign a document that says the museum has the right to to display or dispose of as they see fit. I wonder how much good stuff has gone that route!

Terry