British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-20, 08:48 PM
Walt P's Avatar
Walt P Walt P is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 194
Default Question Regarding the Term "Mottos"

Please enlighten me as to why the badge of the 17/21 Lancers is referred to as "mottos". Thanks,

Walt
__________________
🍁We Remember.🍁
  #2  
Old 06-11-20, 09:51 PM
slick_mick's Avatar
slick_mick slick_mick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,975
Default

This thread explains it well.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=64796

Mick
__________________
Looking for Australian military books?

Regimental Books - Australian Unit History specialists

Chasing militaria? I recommend:

Militaria Online - Australian Militaria Sales
  #3  
Old 06-11-20, 10:10 PM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,016
Default

Great question, I was wondering that as well.

Terry
  #4  
Old 06-11-20, 10:43 PM
Rob Miller's Avatar
Rob Miller Rob Miller is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Devonshire
Posts: 1,874
Default

Here we go again , its not a "M"otto, its a can of worms.

Some Warrant Officer once shouted at a trooper "we don't call it a cab badge we call it a Motto" and since then every "Walt" (Walter Mitty) with no connection to this proud Regiment has jumped on the band wagon and joined in.

If you have never been in the 17th or 17th/21st Lancers you have no right to call it a Motto IMHO, to us mortals it's a cap badge.

Rob
  #5  
Old 07-11-20, 03:41 AM
Walt P's Avatar
Walt P Walt P is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 194
Default

Thanks for your input Gents!

Walt
__________________
🍁We Remember.🍁
  #6  
Old 08-11-20, 12:04 PM
Robthereiver's Avatar
Robthereiver Robthereiver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Here we go again , its not a "M"otto, its a can of worms.

Some Warrant Officer once shouted at a trooper "we don't call it a cab badge we call it a Motto" and since then every "Walt" (Walter Mitty) with no connection to this proud Regiment has jumped on the band wagon and joined in.

If you have never been in the 17th or 17th/21st Lancers you have no right to call it a Motto IMHO, to us mortals it's a cap badge.

Rob
Hello

Here we go again.....so it seems

The cap badge of the 17L, 17/21L QRL & RL is a 'Deaths head' over an 'Or Glory' scroll and together they constitute the regimental motto 'Death or Glory' hence the badge is known as a 'Motto' because it is.

Regardless of whether you're a member of any of the aforementioned Regiments or a civilian its a 'Motto'. Hence Cap Motto's, Collar Motto's, Arm Motto's etc.

However, its also a cap badge to the uninitiated, and if this term is used in front of a Regimental member it's mostly likely they would be politely corrected.
Basically its not wrong for a civilian to call it a Cap Badge they're just uninformed.

So, it all seems straight forward IMO, not a can of worms, nor has it anything to do with WO's shouting, 'Walt's' or Band wagons

I hope that's a help
Rob
__________________


The older I get ................the better I was !
  #7  
Old 08-11-20, 12:17 PM
mac mcconnell mac mcconnell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 912
Default Motto

Robs on Point with why we call it a Motto having worn it for 22 years i will always refer to it as a Motto and if someone back in the day would say nice badge most Boneheads Lancers would correct them and inform them its a Motto. As i would still today .

Best Mac
  #8  
Old 08-11-20, 01:15 PM
3dg's Avatar
3dg 3dg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 923
Default

A number of years ago while serving in Bovington, I asked a WO2 ,who I got on well with, have you a spare cap Motto, his immediate reply was " Chris, it's not a cap badge it's a cap mot.....hang on, you called it cap Motto, all these years of correcting people, you're the first!"
And bless him, he had a spare!

Chris
  #9  
Old 08-11-20, 03:47 PM
altcar73 altcar73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Formby, Merseyside
Posts: 1,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Hello

Here we go again.....so it seems

The cap badge of the 17L, 17/21L QRL & RL is a 'Deaths head' over an 'Or Glory' scroll and together they constitute the regimental motto 'Death or Glory' hence the badge is known as a 'Motto' because it is.

Regardless of whether you're a member of any of the aforementioned Regiments or a civilian its a 'Motto'. Hence Cap Motto's, Collar Motto's, Arm Motto's etc.

However, its also a cap badge to the uninitiated, and if this term is used in front of a Regimental member it's mostly likely they would be politely corrected.
Basically its not wrong for a civilian to call it a Cap Badge they're just uninformed.

So, it all seems straight forward IMO, not a can of worms, nor has it anything to do with WO's shouting, 'Walt's' or Band wagons

I hope that's a help

Rob
According to the Government department who pay the wages of those who wear the device and indeed supply it, the Ministry of Defence, it is a cap badge.

Dave.
  #10  
Old 08-11-20, 04:35 PM
Rob Miller's Avatar
Rob Miller Rob Miller is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Devonshire
Posts: 1,874
Default

I can see its important because to get it wrong could be considered disrespectful, but then there is the arm badge being referred to as a "Chad", if this is a reference to the cartoon character looking over a wall with "wot no ..." underneath then respect doesn't seem to be issue?

Rob
  #11  
Old 09-11-20, 08:34 AM
Lancer 17 Lancer 17 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia.
Posts: 1,450
Thumbs up

Thanks Mac and Robtheriever.

You have said it all (again) and that saves me having to go to the trouble of repeating what has been said many times before, however Rob Miller always takes the negative in these discussions as he has done again.

Whilst I haven't served with the regiment but have a family history dating back to the 1850's, Mac McConnell has for 22 years and speaks with the authority of a time served NCO and as far as Im concerned his is the final word.

Thanks Mac

Phil.
  #12  
Old 09-11-20, 09:19 AM
oc14 oc14 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,329
Default

For what it's worth......I am currently The Deputy Commandant of Lincolnshire Army Cadet Force, prior to that I was the Squadron Leader of Number 2 Squadron within the County. Within 2 Squadron we have five detachments who are affiliated to the Royal Lancers (and before that QRL and 17th/21st Lancers). In both these appointments I have worn/wear the Motto (despite my heritage being that of the Light Infantry/Rifles). From the moment that cadets join any of the Royal Lancers detachments they are taught that the correct way to refer to the badge that they wear is "The Motto" - indeed this reference is enshrined in the County dress regulations too !
My point is, that all members of the Royal Lancers "Regimental Family" are taught about "The Motto" from day 1 . It is, and remains, a point of pride. If a 12 or 13 year old cadet can get it right, I'm pretty sure adults can too.....

Its is nothing to do with the whims of Warrant Officers nor is it anything to do with "Walts", it is simply regimental custom, just as in the Rifles Private Soldiers are referred to as Riflemen, Serjeant is spelled with a J and Bayonets are referred to as Swords. It is the subtle differences that make the Regimental system in the British Army the envy of the world....

There will always be those who will be envious, just as there will be those who "do it right"...

PL
  #13  
Old 09-11-20, 09:37 AM
altcar73 altcar73 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Formby, Merseyside
Posts: 1,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Thanks Mac and Robtheriever.

You have said it all (again) and that saves me having to go to the trouble of repeating what has been said many times before, however Rob Miller always takes the negative in these discussions as he has done again.

Whilst I haven't served with the regiment but have a family history dating back to the 1850's, Mac McConnell has for 22 years and speaks with the authority of a time served NCO and as far as Im concerned his is the final word.

Thanks Mac

Phil.
The "final word" rests with the Ministry of Defence, not individual employees past or present. End of.

Dave.
  #14  
Old 09-11-20, 09:43 AM
Alan O's Avatar
Alan O Alan O is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,385
Default

I think this has run it's course.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.