British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-18, 02:04 AM

Default Size does matter

I find it impossible to judge the size of badges when buying on the internet. None of my several books give a clue as to size and few sellers even mention size. So, how can one tell if the badge pictured is cap, beret, collar or arm with any certainty? This becomes all the more important when buying from so far away, (NZ).
Although the comment is general I am looking at what was sold to me as a 1968 era, 14th/20th Kings Hussars cap badge in black. The proud Hawk looked good in the ad. but is dwarfed by adjacent badges on my British Hussars board so I think I may have been collared again.
Anybody want to confirm that for me and advise what the the height should be of that particular cap badge?
mjh
Old 05-09-18, 02:43 AM

Default Size matters

I agree with you, size matters, so asking dealers pertinent questions is a prime method of overcoming this problem.

Good research material is also important. If in doubt consult some of the very knowledgeable members of the forum before spending wads of cash. If a deal is too good to be true then it probably is, and walk away.

If too many details are on the net the forgers will only get better at making badges without the errors.

Sorry, I can't help you with your specific enquiry.

Stephen.
Old 05-09-18, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I find it impossible to judge the size of badges when buying on the internet. None of my several books give a clue as to size and few sellers even mention size. So, how can one tell if the badge pictured is cap, beret, collar or arm with any certainty? This becomes all the more important when buying from so far away, (NZ).
Although the comment is general I am looking at what was sold to me as a 1968 era, 14th/20th Kings Hussars cap badge in black. The proud Hawk looked good in the ad. but is dwarfed by adjacent badges on my British Hussars board so I think I may have been collared again.
Anybody want to confirm that for me and advise what the the height should be of that particular cap badge?
mjh
While I sympathise with the spirit of the issue, in the specific case of the badge in question, if it has a slider it's a cap badge. Also, my understanding of the 14th/20th Hussars of that period is that the collar badge was a smaller version of the 'cartwheel', not the 'hawk'. Nevertheless, I admit that there are some circumstances where it's difficult to determine between a collar and a cap badge merely by photos online.
Old 05-09-18, 05:15 PM

mjh,

The blackened anodised aluminium 14th/20th Hussars cap badge measures 36mm by 30mm. Sealed in May 1968.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (47.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 05-09-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 12:16 PM

Size certainly does matter.
In my area of interest,some trade badges were used in the larger size by one regiment then reduced in size when they continued to be used after said regiment was amalgamated.
Its also helpful when you are trying to put an approxiamate date on things.
Old 06-09-18, 08:41 PM

Smile Size matters

Many thanks to those who responded, there is apparently some support for quoting size.
My black hawk does have a slider and is 36x30, that's a relief.
mjh