British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-18, 06:06 PM

Default Cap badge help

Hi can somebody help identify this cap badge please?
I believe this is my uncle Bill and he may have serve with the Eighth Army during the Second World War.

Old 04-09-18, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Spannerz, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The image shows what looks like the collar badge of the Royal Artillery, which was worn as a cap badge during the war.
Old 04-09-18, 06:22 PM

Possibly the Africa Star ribbon with numeral ("1" or "8") being worn.
Old 05-09-18, 05:37 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I sort of got it down to Royal Artillery but wasn't sure as there appear to be a few.
The only info I have is a letter regarding numerous family members Bill being one. I never met him. The letter says "He was in the Eighth Army, The Dessert Rats. He saw action in Tobruk and also in Italy. "
I could see it wasn't a Desert Rats Badge.
So hopefully my picture is clearer, my Granddad who I also never knew joined the Bradford Pals and Enlisted with the Prince Of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment. He was badly injured while serving in Italy during WW1.
My Dad, youngest of 4 brothers signed up just after the second World War and was 17 years with the Royal Corps of Signals.
I'm trying to build the info into an Album for my Grandchildren.
I now have 2 cap badges and will now get the third. I have some photos and am scouring the net to try to find my Granddads War medals and Wound Badge. I have his service record. Long shot I know.
The info you have given me will help me complete this.
Anyway I greatly appreciate the help.
Old 05-09-18, 06:35 PM

Default Thank You

Hi,
Just to clear things up then this is a collar badge and the actual Cap Badge would be the one with the Gun Carriage symbol?
Old 05-09-18, 06:43 PM

Default Thanks

Really appreciate your hep.
This will help me build a picture for my Grandchildren yet to come.
I'm trying to create an Album, book and frame.
I have info of my Granddad from WW1 he joined the Bradford Pals and Prince Of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment. He was badly injured while serving in Italy.
My Uncle Bill was WW2 in the Eighth Army, The Dessert Rats. He saw action in Tobruk and also in Italy, not sure how accurate this is.
My Dad serve for 17 years in the Royal Corps or Signals until maybe 1967 serving in Germany, Malta and Cyprus.
I have 2 Cap Badges and will now get the third and will attempt to find my Granddads actual WW1 Medals and Wound Badge, I have his service record.
Anyway really appreciate the help and hopefully I can complete my little project more accurately now.
Old 05-09-18, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerz View Post
Hi,
Just to clear things up then this is a collar badge and the actual Cap Badge would be the one with the Gun Carriage symbol?
More or less correct, the collar badge was officially worn on the field service cap 1941-1943 and the general service cap (as in your image) 1943-1947, either in gilding metal (brass) or brown plastic.

For your purposes a regular cap badge seems an appropriate choice.

Rgds, Thomas

Last edited by fougasse1940; 05-09-18 at 09:04 PM. Reason: addl thoughts