British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-08, 12:46 PM

Default Cross Lance badges

Glad you joined and hope you like it. I would like to ask a quick question.

Crossed lances in bullion, how rare are they? I think I have only seen a couple over many years but other trade badges are fairly common. There were quite a few Lancer regts and Dragoons also wear them so there should have been as many of them as crossed swords, well a few less but you see my point?

I collect pre WW1 full dress and have a good collection of trade badges but lances are very elusive.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 04-12-08, 03:32 PM

Default X lances

There were two standard issues 1902 to 1904 or a little later, that is gold embroidered for full dress, and worsted for KD. Pre 1902 they were gold embroidered only. After 1907 there was never another official issue that I can trace in regulations BUT there is evidence that they were indeed worn until final demise of lance. British and Indian lancers, armed with lances, were certainly in action in the Great War, one doubts if they would have given up the badges easily.

There was never an official gilding metal version.
Old 04-12-08, 05:26 PM

Default Lances

Thank you. Do they come at shows over there often? It not surprising that I dont see them here in Canada but I wondered why they dont turn up in auctions or stores.
The trained scout badge, you mention in your book (awesome by the way!) that it wasnt in bullion. Didnt all cavalry badges come in bullion? I picked up a Fleur de Lis in gold bullion and though I dont think its positively military it certainly looks the part, the backing isnt the same as other trade badges I have but I had to get it just to make sure. Could they have come in bullion?

Colin
Old 05-12-08, 01:15 PM

Default scout badge

I Stress OFFICIALLY the only production was what the vocabs and CRs call 'brass' [unusual, its commonly referred to as 'gilding metal' in army docs, an alloy richer in copper than brass]. There was not even official mention of worsted that I can trace ..... the objection to worsted was cost. It is remotely possible that your purchase was regimentally issued, but I doubt it. Hope you didn't pay much for it ..... I wouldn't give it house room!

Sell it before someone reads this!!!
Old 05-12-08, 07:18 PM

Default X lances

It was only 20 bucks so Im not too worried. Its suprising that there is no official mention of the lances. I will still keep looking for them, they have to turn up some time.
I am an Armourer with the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa and on my scarlets I wear a hammer and pincers above my Cpls chevrons. Unofficial of course but my RSM ok'd it when I was given permission to wear full dress. So I am the only Canadian soldier to wear the badge! I have it on my mess dress as well.

Colin