British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-21, 06:03 PM

Default The eagle is facing...

Greetings, all -

I am curious if there is any significance to which way the eagle is facing on RAF cap badges. By far, most badges I've seen have the eagle facing to the viewer's right. However, there are also left-facing examples. A couple examples, found a while ago on Tommys' Militaria, are appended to illustrate. These caps were identified by Tommys' as "First Pattern 1918".

I've found a couple references along the way indicating that an eagle looking to the viewer's left is incorrect, which begs the question as to why they would have been manufactured "wrongly" (never mind issued for wear).

Any illumination on the subject would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Vaughn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF 1st pattern1a.jpg (45.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg RAF 1st pattern2a.jpg (40.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 30-01-21, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger306 View Post
Greetings, all -

I am curious if there is any significance to which way the eagle is facing on RAF cap badges. By far, most badges I've seen have the eagle facing to the viewer's right. However, there are also left-facing examples. A couple examples, found a while ago on Tommys' Militaria, are appended to illustrate. These caps were identified by Tommys' as "First Pattern 1918".

I've found a couple references along the way indicating that an eagle looking to the viewer's left is incorrect, which begs the question as to why they would have been manufactured "wrongly" (never mind issued for wear).

Any illumination on the subject would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Vaughn
DO NOT entertain buying any thing from this dealer a high percentage of fakes
Old 30-01-21, 07:36 PM

Good to know generally. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your reply; however, purchase is not my intent. Question is the significance as to right vs left facing eagles.

Are you meaning that anything with a left facing eagle is simply and always a fake?
Old 31-01-21, 06:53 AM

The first cap shown looks dreadful.

Left facing eagles are probably sleeve eagles, worn at different times

Jerry
Old 31-01-21, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
Left facing eagles are probably sleeve eagles, worn at different times
Example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleeve eagles.jpg (60.4 KB, 28 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 06-02-21, 10:07 PM

Thanks for your input and observations. Did a little more digging and found this guide:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ighlight=guide

I also found another left facing example: https://www.emedals.com/north-americ...er-s-cap-badge

In the guide, the preamble on page 2 says that the the book documents "...badges and emblems used by the Royal Air Force..." (emphasis mine). On page 39 there is a left facing eagle badge (which is basically identical to the first example above and the emedals example) noting that the manufacturer is unknown and that the eagle faces the wrong direction. I find this somewhat ambiguous relative to badge authenticity.

So, despite the eagle looking "dreadful" and facing the "wrong" way, with three basically identical examples the question is, were these actually used in service? Might these just be prototypes rejected for using the wrong eagles or did someone unknown happen to make a batch of fakes hoping to cash-in?
Old 07-02-21, 07:58 AM

Quote:
So, despite the eagle looking "dreadful" and facing the "wrong" way, with three basically identical examples the question is, were these actually used in service? Might these just be prototypes rejected for using the wrong eagles or did someone unknown happen to make a batch of fakes hoping to cash-in?
Here is a thread about them:

RAF sleeve eagles?

Old 07-02-21, 09:24 AM

Hi
I believe the badge is original WW1, hat I would need to see.
From my research it seems these WW1 officers badges are Canadian 1918 RAF.
As always judge the item ,not the seller.
Old 07-02-21, 11:13 AM

Quote:
These caps were identified by Tommys' as "First Pattern 1918".
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
Hi
I believe the badge is original WW1, hat I would need to see.
From my research it seems these WW1 officers badges are Canadian 1918 RAF.
As always judge the item ,not the seller.
I find it strange that Tommy's make no mention at all about the eagle facing the wrong way , surely if this was 'genuine' it would be a major "unique" selling point ?

Hopefully one of our Canadian members can verify if any officers ever wore the badge with the eagle facing the wrong way ?

Is it possible/probable that a seller/dealer got hold of a WW1 era cap badge that was missing the eagle and simply added an arm one ?

Old 07-02-21, 12:01 PM

Whilst your idea about the eagle being replaced would be feasible if the hat badge was a one off, this is not the case. Firstly, the eagle is a totally different pattern to those used for arm eagles or any other badge. Secondly, there are at least three individual examples of the badge that I have seen so far, all of which show clear signs of having been worn. It may be that they stem from the confusion that existed in 1918/19 about which way the eagle should fly. This is clearly shown in photos of the time where Airmen are shown wearing the arm eagle flying both ways in the same photo. I believe it was not until 1920 that definitive orders were issued dictating the direction of flight.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eaarly eagle wear.jpg (53.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-02-21, 12:44 PM

Thanks for your input Dave , my suggestion was purely based on a quick search for information on-line.

Regarding the wearing of arm badges , I found this :

"The eagles are meant to be worn in pairs, with the both of the eagles facing backward.The Air Ministry Order(s) which authorized the introduction of these badges in 1918 make it absolutely clear that they are to be worn only in this manner. "

Old 08-02-21, 02:06 AM

The confusion on which way the eagles would face (Without proper instruction) is easily explained when one thinks that most arm badges or flashes normally show an animal/bird or arrow facing “forward” to the direction of march. Of course, the exception to the rule applies here. As I was instructed, if your eagles are facing forward Laddie, they’ll crash into the “WO-man” and he’ll be having you all over the parade square double-time and rifle over your ‘ead.! D.J.
Old 08-02-21, 03:10 AM

Gentlemen -

Thank you for the discussion on this item. Most interesting and I think Dave's comment about the 1918/19 confusion and the subsequent 1920 orders answer my question. I suppose it may be impossible to know definitively without photographic evidence if these "wrong" facing eagles were ever actually worn on caps. However, understanding the history is certainly worthwhile.

I also agree it seems odd that Tommys' did not see fit to describe these as a rarity whereas emedals made the point. Usually, unique badges are clearly defined as such (in my experience).

Artynut also provides an interesting observation. However, would the RAF cap badges not be procured by the same method as insignia for army units? My understanding, for Canadian infantry units at least, was that designs were (in the main) formally submitted for approval by the "authorities" before being produced. Or as suggested, was this just the Canadians trying to "stand out" from their English comrades?

Vaughn
Old 08-02-21, 11:14 AM

Many different tailors supplied RAF Officers with their uniforms with many of these tailors manufacturing the badges. This is why there are so many variations. They sometimes have larger crowns, smaller crowns, metal crowns etc and slight variations in the shape and size of the lower leaves and even the black backing cloth. This is very evident in the Pilots wing badges they produced. Yes there were standard patterns supplied/procured by the RAF but it seems that in the end it was down to the individual officers preference/tailors skills to adhere to the spirit of the sealed patterns if not the actual design.
Old 08-02-21, 12:26 PM

Just a manufacturing error. I have seen a few of these, both in an all metal type badge as well as an embroidered crown and laurel type. Call it human error that one placed the wrong facing bird on the badge. After all, the ones I have seen all come from the same era as when the RAF wore sleeve eagles too. There was bound to be a few made like this!