British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-22, 02:25 PM

Default THE COMMANDO COMPENDIUM

Many thanks to Mike for posting details of my new book, in 'Recent Books by Members' section of the Forum Home Page.

There are many members here, to whom I owe a debt of thanks for their help, guidance and support. Certainly the coverage of the various national Troops of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando, would have been poorer without the help of many friends on the Continent.

While the book is largely contextual, drawn from 22,000 pages of War Diaries (some from very obscure units) I believe any serious collector of military insignia needs to appreciate where, when, how, such emblems were worn. It is my hope, THE COMMANDO COMPENDIUM satisfies this gap, in so far as WW2 Commando Group and its predecessor units are concerned. Related War Diaries contain little specific reference to insignia, but where recorded, these are noted.

The book represents three decades of research and analysis, is in A4 full colour format in about 300 pages. There are numerous tables and 34 original maps.

I am delighted the eminent Military Historian, Professor Saul David, has tweeted ... "... the COMMANDO COMPENDIUM ... contains just about everything you need to know about the WW2 Commandos. An astonishing achievement'.

The book is available for £25 plus postage, through the Royal Marines Historical Society - the following marketing material relates:

RMHS LATEST BOOK RELEASED AND IT'S A CRACKER FOR CHRISTMAS....
THE COMMANDO COMPENDIUM, THE FACTS ABOUT CHURCHILL’S HUNTER CLASS, LOCATIONS AND OPERATIONS OF BRITISH AND INTER-ALLIED COMMANDO FORMATIONS DURING WORLD WAR TWO. by Michael John Beckett. The first Royal Marines Commando was raised in February 1942, just a few months after Lord Mountbatten became the Chief of Combined Operations. After the war he was to write that he found it surprising that so few Marines were in Commandos, a role that he saw as naturally theirs. It had been in June 1940 when Churchill had called for “specially trained forces of the hunter class” to tie up enemy troops by raiding the coast of German occupied Europe. This book traces the origins of the many Army, Navy, Air Force and Royal Marines units that were raised and served as Commandos. Over the past three decades Mike Beckett has meticulously researched and interrogated records of these often-clandestine units during World War Two. Some 22,000 pages of war diaries have been diligently condensed into a series of tables and maps that for the first time give a true and complete picture of the activities of Churchill’s hunter class. “The wartime achievements of these embryonic raiding forces – detailed in this book – were legendary. From small beginnings, relying initially on their volunteers’ raw courage and boyish enthusiasm, they adapted their tactics and equipment to become an outstanding professional force that was capable of meeting strategic objectives” Saul David. The Royal Marines Historical Society is particularly pleased to be able to publish Mike’s research in this Commando Compendium. A true and unique record of the men who served so gallantly and who’s legacy today survives not just in the Royal Marines but in all the units of 3 Commando Brigade and other Special Forces. £25 PLUS £5 P&P
ORDER IT HERE https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/book-order-form OR JOIN THE SOCIETY, SUPPORT CORPS HISTORY AND GET THE COMMANDO COMPENDIUM FOR FREE... https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/membershipform

SEASON'S GREETING TO ALL MEMBERS - I hope the book is of interest to all ...

Last edited by Mike B; 11-12-22 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 02:28 PM

Sounds fantastic Mike, very well done indeed.
Old 11-12-22, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Sounds fantastic Mike, very well done indeed.
Many thanks Luke - I hope it is of interest. It appears to be selling well. Distribution through RMHS who paid for publication, and receive all proceeds - my main motivation being to share information ...

I should say, if ordering - it is Special Publication 54 (SP54)

With thanks

https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/ourbooks

https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/book-order-form

Last edited by Mike B; 11-12-22 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-12-22, 10:32 PM

Congratulations Mike

30 years of passionate research by one of British Badge Forums true gentlemen and scholar on the subject of WWII Commandos.

I cannot wait to get the compendium and enrich my small fledgling WWII commando insignia collection.

regards and all the ebst my friend

Phill
Old 12-12-22, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Lockett View Post
Congratulations Mike

30 years of passionate research by one of British Badge Forums true gentlemen and scholar on the subject of WWII Commandos.

I cannot wait to get the compendium and enrich my small fledgling WWII commando insignia collection.

regards and all the ebst my friend

Phill
Many thanks Phill - much appreciate your kind words ... hoping you like it
Old 12-12-22, 11:30 AM

Cracking effort Mike - well done.

I'll be ordering my copy for Christmas!

Regards

Paul
Old 12-12-22, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
Cracking effort Mike - well done.

I'll be ordering my copy for Christmas!

Regards

Paul
Thanks Paul - hoping you like it ... some obscure stuff in there ...
Old 12-12-22, 04:06 PM

Mike is always on top of the game on commandos history and really helpful here. Not many left with that knowledge and willing to share.
I'm giving him a proper support for his book launch.
Will order for Christmas as well.

All the best
Old 12-12-22, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Mike is always on top of the game on commandos history and really helpful here. Not many left with that knowledge and willing to share.
I'm giving him a proper support for his book launch.
Will order for Christmas as well.

All the best
Many thanks Thierry - kind words, I appreciate ...