British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-20, 09:03 PM

Strangely, that one hasn't found its way on to the market - presumably fakers thought no one would wear it that there was a "Royal" Middlesex Regiment.

Id've thought that ASC one might've been worth a punt by the dirty fakirs though.
Old 27-07-20, 08:10 PM

Another ‘lovely old school’ fake Middx Footballers badge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-Vi...sAAOSwO8dfHvNc

This time note the erases scroll with the vertical wavy lines. Pics attached for members reference when eBay link expires.
Old 27-07-20, 10:41 PM

Luke m'boy.

I believe you have found a badge that, apart from the footie, is identical to the latest I discussed with you, i.e. blank scroll item with artificially aged back.

Regards.

Brian
Old 28-07-20, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Another ‘lovely old school’ fake Middx Footballers badge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-Vi...sAAOSwO8dfHvNc

This time note the erases scroll with the vertical wavy lines. Pics attached for members reference when eBay link expires.
Another badge from the "Ron" collection. It was always my fear that this collection would come on to the open market and now it has.
Old 28-07-20, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Luke m'boy.

I believe you have found a badge that, apart from the footie, is identical to the latest I discussed with you, i.e. blank scroll item with artificially aged back.

Regards.

Brian
Yes, sorry it was as I feared. Knew I’d seen it somewhere before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Another badge from the "Ron" collection. It was always my fear that this collection would come on to the open market and now it has.
The ‘Ron Gunn’ collection? Definitely a lot of those in this chaps listings.
Old 28-07-20, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The ‘Ron Gunn’ collection? Definitely a lot of those in this chaps listings.
"Ron" is a chap that I have known for a long time. Unfortunately, his large collection was full of fakes and restrikes. He did have some very nice pieces, but they were snapped up by another collector. A few forum members have met him, but he now seems to have moved away from collecting.
Old 28-07-20, 08:14 PM

No offence was intended to Ron. I’d never heard of the ‘Ron collection’ before so wasn’t even entirely sure what context it was meant in, saw and took an opportunity to make a bad pun for those with an accent like mine.

Sadly I think there must be an increasing number such collections with a large proportion of repros.

A similar story recently with the huge collection that went through James & Sons last year. There were a few lovely and rare badges but sadly masses (hundreds-thousands) of repros which over a year on they’re still trying to sell.
Old 29-07-20, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No offence was intended to Ron. I’d never heard of the ‘Ron collection’ before so wasn’t even entirely sure what context it was meant in, saw and took an opportunity to make a bad pun for those with an accent like mine.
Lol, I'm sure none would be taken

I would argue with Ron over and over about the merits of having blatant restrikes and fakes, but to no avail I'm afraid. He would argue that it is an example of what was worn that that was all that mattered to him. As for fantasy items he would say that it must of existed because he has an example
Old 29-07-20, 07:29 PM

What's the thinking on these 'old school' badges? Do I understand they look to be a mixed collection being sold by the seller- are all the Middlesex duff? Or does it look like these are being faked at the present time? Regards, Paul.
Old 29-07-20, 07:56 PM

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...10th+middlesex
My second 10th Bn badge in post 12 may well looks similar to some being sold now. Regards, Paul.
Old 30-07-20, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
What's the thinking on these 'old school' badges? Do I understand they look to be a mixed collection being sold by the seller- are all the Middlesex duff? Or does it look like these are being faked at the present time? Regards, Paul.
Greetings Paul.

The seller of these 'Old School' items is not a militaria dealer as such, he dabbles in many things, but does sell militaria on occasions, but as far as I know, has very little knowledge of the subject and I suspect uses the term Old School for effect.

If I'm searching for items and I find a listing of his, I often have a look at what else he has, on the off chance he may have something decent. I've yet to find anything.

See Nozzer's post at number 21. He knows the chap who sold the badges to this seller and as he states, the great majority of the collection were fakes, copies and fantasy items.

Re your other posting re 10th Middlesex, (original posting January 2010)

Snap, I have exactly the same badge, silver and yellow metal, blank scroll the same and footed lugs.

The conclusion arrived at by learned members is that the badge is a fake.

However, we now have between us a very impressive looking snide pair of collars to the 10th Middlesex.

Regards

Brian
Old 30-07-20, 04:16 PM

Cheers Brian. Regards, Paul.
Old 05-03-21, 09:38 PM

Post no. 12 - I didnt pick up on the curly scrolls Leinsters on the poster.
Old 05-03-21, 09:50 PM

I don’t think too much can necessarily be drawn from that poster, it is ultimately just a picture and doesn’t necessarily bear much resemblance to the cap badge de facto. Clearly a degree of artistic license is used like on the CWGC headstones.

The curly or curvy scrolls design features certainly on period sweetheart badges too.
Old 06-03-21, 10:31 AM

It's an interesting coincidence that the Middlesex Footballers, Leeds Pals earless owls and Leinsters curly scrolls badge varieties which excite controversy all appear in the poster which is basically an advert for the company's wares, date not known but probably 1920's
Having said that there are other badges shown which are well iffy and don't appear to have been produced.