British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-18, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Thanks 3dg,

I'm certainly no expert, but I cannot see anything that would set off alarm bells for me.

I know sometimes the heads of the snakes can appear a little cartoonesque, and therefore a cause for concern.

A bit of a cop out, but I am sure more knowledgeable members will be able to offer a more rounded appraisal.

JT

Attachment 195093 Attachment 195094
Thank you JT, greatly appreciated.
Hopefully get another opinion to confirm.
Cheers
3dg
Old 08-10-18, 04:30 PM

Okay, just making sure it was not a bottle of cask strength Laphroiag or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Nothing too bad, just bells scotch if I remember.
Thanks for the Officers badge info, and the picture.
Is my badge a goodun?
Thanks again chaps
Old 08-10-18, 04:33 PM

I too, think it is okay, but, not a badge that I have ever really bothered with, I'll have to have a look at those I bought when I originally collected cap badges.

Quote:
Didn't mean to be rude on last post, can anyone tell me if my Artists badge is a good one or not please, greatly appreciated
Old 08-10-18, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to be rude on last post, can anyone tell me if my Artists badge is a good one or not please, greatly appreciated
It looks to be a good pattern. The only comment I would make is that it's an unusual colour. In your pics it looks like a very bright frosted silver. I have chromed examples but they don't look that bright. It doesn't look recently made from the slider though so an interesting variant and probably original.

I've attached pics of another Firmin silver plated Officers' example. This appears to have service wear, particularly on the lugs.

Also attached are pics of typical W/M lugged collars and an unusual bladed cap badge. This appears to be cast silver but has no mark. I'm not certain if it's original but one doesn't get many to the pound and I haven't seen any others that I can recall. If it's a good one, can someone date it please?

Many thanks,

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzP4010166.jpg (63.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010171.jpg (59.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010176.jpg (54.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010203.jpg (51.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010205.jpg (49.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010209.jpg (63.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010194.jpg (63.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg zzP4010198.jpg (50.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-10-18, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecagnano View Post
It looks to be a good pattern. The only comment I would make is that it's an unusual colour. In your pics it looks like a very bright frosted silver. I have chromed examples but they don't look that bright. It doesn't look recently made from the slider though so an interesting variant and probably original.

I've attached pics of another Firmin silver plated Officers' example. This appears to have service wear, particularly on the lugs.

Also attached are pics of typical W/M lugged collars and an unusual bladed cap badge. This appears to be cast silver but has no mark. I'm not certain if it's original but one doesn't get many to the pound and I haven't seen any others that I can recall. If it's a good one, can someone date it please?

Many thanks,

Graham
Thank you very much for your reply Graham, and excellent badge pictures, a lovely collection.
Mine is definitely Wm, I've taken it in a different light, I'm very pleased its a good one, thanks all who have posted on this one for your time, its greatly appreciated.
Cheers

3dg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181008_214006306.jpg (44.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181008_214013520.jpg (42.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-03-21, 08:53 AM

Is that particular badge that you show the later of the two patterns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommiegit View Post
21SAS adopted a white metal Mars and Minerva badge with ARTISTS scroll, due to low numbers of these being available a number of requests were made to ex members of the Artists to donate any spare badges to the regiment. As such both the 1908 and 1938 pattern badge was worn. There has even been talk to some early members of 21SAS wearing a white medal Artists Rifles badge, but I am yet to find photographic evidence of this.