British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-13, 10:08 PM

Default 10 CEF Badge Backing

Hi all, I found this photo while cleaning out some files. I took the pic at the Glenbow Museum and I would assume that the uniform is totally original. Of interest to me is the blue fabric behind the badge. I'm wondering if in the regimental history there is mention of the backing, is it based on a regimental distinction, a company/platoon colour or if there are other uniforms with a similar backing. Harper mentions a red backing for the 5th CEF (pg. 14 - post script), are there mentions of any other colours for specific CEF battalions out there?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.JPG (48.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 31-01-13, 10:19 PM

I may be answering my own question here but in doing a search on the Forum I can across this mention.

"in Canadian circles the colour denoted the conpany ie red A COY, BLUE B COY, GREEN C COY."

If this true, what is the origin of this practise?

Greg
Old 03-02-13, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, What was the thread that mention was in?
Old 03-02-13, 11:51 PM

Hi Greg.....

I also have a full officers uniform for the 10th Battalion but there is nothing as a backing on the cap.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 04-02-13, 03:47 AM

Sorry Bill, I took another look at where in previous post the info was, there are 7 pages and over 150 separate posts, I couldn't find

Greg
Old 04-02-13, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I took the pic at the Glenbow Museum and I would assume that the uniform is totally original.
Greg
Perhaps this is not a very useful response, but I just wanted to point out that just because an item is on display in a museum does not necessarily indicate that it is 100% correct. Without going into a long list of examples suffice it to say that museums are manned by people with varying levels of expertise/knowledge on the items that they are handling. Also, some items can enter the museum's collection that have been incorrectly altered previously. I wish it wasn't that way but sadly it's the reality.

I can confirm that in the PPCLI at least, each company did/does have it's own color but I have not heard of cap badges being backed by company colors.

Lastly, although the photo is quite small the backing material does not appear to have any real age or fading which would be expected for an item of that age. Perhaps the original backing material was replaced if in fact it was there in first place.
Old 05-02-13, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

By co-incidence, an old badge backing thread was brought back to the top on the Canadian Soldier Forum. There is a mention of the 10th Bn badge backing here.
Old 06-02-13, 04:25 AM

Interesting Bill. If Mike is correct there should be a Routine Order that we can access. Something to ask Mike about or look into when visiting the MoR in Calgary.

Greg
Old 31-03-13, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I may be answering my own question here but in doing a search on the Forum I can across this mention.

"in Canadian circles the colour denoted the conpany ie red A COY, BLUE B COY, GREEN C COY."

If this true, what is the origin of this practise?

Greg
This would be irrelevant to a 10th Battalion cap. The blue backing was outlined in battalion orders for the entire unit, but was not popular. Daniel Dancocks talks about it in the battalion history GALLANT CANADIANS. As mentioned in the thread Bill links to, the unit actually liked backing the badges with red cloth instead, and had to be reminded in routine orders that red was not permitted. Not sure of the origin of the blue, but if I had to make a wild guess, I would say it was possibly related to the blue shoulder straps that the First Contingent wore as an arm of service colour, coming from the pre-war service dress uniform.
Old 01-04-13, 04:56 AM

Thanks guys for expanding on my thoughts and offering other theories. Thank you Michael for the 10 CEF info, I'll have to look through my copy of Gallant Canadians and read the passage.

Greg