British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-20, 10:54 AM

Default Connaught QVC

Hi all,

sorry because the bad photo (badge is not in my possession) but based on the picture below, is it possible to determinate is the badge original period one or not?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 27-07-20, 05:17 PM
MarkGD

Hi Phaethon, i collect to the Connaught Rangers, i would be happy with it. Regards Mark
Old 27-07-20, 05:22 PM

A fake like this one http://www.mournemilitaria.com/store...uction%29.html .

Note the shape of the crown and the tall distended harp and very long first string. Excess polish on the back is to hide the poor reverse strike.
Old 27-07-20, 07:15 PM
MarkGD

I hold a different opinion to Luke, the Mourne badge is a different badge, there are many differences, just see the position of the T in Connaught. The only thing that would concern me about the badge you show is the lugs, which can't be seen fully. Regards Mark
Old 27-07-20, 07:54 PM

Overly tall orb with notch. Every genuine QVC badge I’ve seen has the cross sat more squarely on the crown. You can see the reverse detail on the scroll’s lettering is similarly poor on the badge in post #1. Also I can see the feet on the left loop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3B4E3A57-F99F-4BD2-AC34-66340805311C.jpg (79.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 28-07-20, 07:56 AM
MarkGD

Thank you Luke, i stand corrected, forgot about the tall orb, in mitigation a better photo would have helped, but that's what the forum is all about.
Regards Mark
Old 28-07-20, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=119212

I regard this one as genuine.
Old 29-07-20, 07:17 AM

Glad that you have not bought that, yes, it is possible to determine from the photographs originality, in this case both the materials and method of manufacture used suggest that it cannot be original, still, never mind, lots of original examples remain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Hi all,

sorry because the bad photo (badge is not in my possession) but based on the picture below, is it possible to determinate is the badge original period one or not?

Old 29-07-20, 03:27 PM

Thank you so much guys! you saved me some money here! I will leave it so.

Now, what about this one (I think it is a good one!).

A Connaught QC side cap badge? Also how common/rare these are and what could be a fair price for it?

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 29-07-20, 03:47 PM

It’s genuine. QVC not QC. The badge would have originally had 2 loops it has either been broken and repaired with a pin fixing or modified for wear as a sweetheart badge.

For me on its own it’s effectively a defective badge and so not worth half the price of a complete example in my personal opinion.

A QVC Connaught Rangers cap badge will retail on a dealer list at £60-65. You can pick them up on eBay regularly for £10 or more less than that on a regular basis.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a brooched one as it’s £20-30 you could spend on an undamaged badge. Others may disagree however.
Old 29-07-20, 05:42 PM
MarkGD

Phaethon, that is a lovely badge, if you don't buy it, tell me where i can! Best Regards - Mark
Old 29-07-20, 07:53 PM

The catch/hook actually appears to be part of the original copper loop from the reverse photograph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thank you so much guys! you saved me some money here! I will leave it so.

Now, what about this one (I think it is a good one!).

A Connaught QC side cap badge? Also how common/rare these are and what could be a fair price for it?

Old 30-07-20, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a brooched one as it’s £20-30 you could spend on an undamaged badge. Others may disagree however.
Luke,

I know where you are coming from with that statement.

I came across an interesting comment in the RACD list of changes at one time in Vol 10 p 111 which I don't think I have mentioned much before.

It is a reference to a private note from O/C 1 RDF (in the far east at the time) to the RACD dated June 2, 1898. It refers to the first issue of the FSC cap badge (which was also approved for the foreign service helmet) which would have been fitted with loops. The entry title is “Badges F.S. Helmet, R, Dublin Fusiliers” It reads …” private note from OC 1st Bn “we had no difficulty with the Grenade as we had them fitted regimentally with brooch pins and pinned them on the puggaree in front”

This is the first reference (secondary in this case, but of undoubted accuracy) I have come across of brooch pin fitting done on a battalion level.

I do not have permission from the NA to post an image of the entry.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 30-07-20 at 02:28 AM. Reason: added date
Old 30-07-20, 07:47 AM

That is very interesting, I don't think that I have ever come across a single example of such a badge, that I could regard as a regimental conversion.
Notwithstanding, the notation suggests they were actually being used by the entire 1st Battalion which landed at Cape Town at the end of September the following year, I assume they had a further issue of cap badges by then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Luke,

I know where you are coming from with that statement.

I came across an interesting comment in the RACD list of changes at one time in Vol 10 p 111 which I don't think I have mentioned much before.

It is a reference to a private note from O/C 1 RDF (in the far east at the time) to the RACD dated June 2, 1898. It refers to the first issue of the FSC cap badge (which was also approved for the foreign service helmet) which would have been fitted with loops. The entry title is “Badges F.S. Helmet, R, Dublin Fusiliers” It reads …” private note from OC 1st Bn “we had no difficulty with the Grenade as we had them fitted regimentally with brooch pins and pinned them on the puggaree in front”

This is the first reference (secondary in this case, but of undoubted accuracy) I have come across of brooch pin fitting done on a battalion level.

I do not have permission from the NA to post an image of the entry.

John
Old 30-07-20, 07:53 AM

That is interesting John, thanks.

But would such a conversion have not have been pinned N-S like the vast majority of Pagri’s to stop it flapping about? I’ve seen an RDF which I believed was a bespoke pagri conversion, again the pin was N-S with a brass hook.