British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-20, 02:35 PM

Default Fake. Or just maybe 101 Troop

An older badge given to me some 20 plus years ago no history other than came from a older collector this badge is heavily faked but those of you with better knowledge hopefully can cast you attuned eye over it.the Stitching is not to bad to the rear as many modern reproductions.
Thank you all in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CE28B35-F353-4A8D-8215-E23E7036BE1D.jpg (73.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 7A06485F-54D5-4770-8294-C01BC2DCE281.jpg (89.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 19-04-20, 03:14 PM

Hi
Think it's just an older copy...don't like the backing at all. It does not give me the impression of a theatre made item either not with black mesh .
Regards steve
Old 19-04-20, 03:27 PM

That mesh backing appears on just about every rare WWII badge from a well-know eBay seller...
Old 19-04-20, 03:49 PM

A well known ebay seller, could you narrow the field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecagnano View Post
That mesh backing appears on just about every rare WWII badge from a well-know eBay seller...
Old 19-04-20, 04:51 PM

Interesting this badge I have had for many years and certainly predates EBay
It is not the crude fake we are used to seeing I mentioned 20 years plus probably over 30 years as my pall has been dead for more years than I remembered.

It does not have the huge mass of spaghetti to the rear.
It has no attempt made to cover the back with paper or fabric common in the often seen copies.

Which would suggest it may be theatre produced and am not aware of the fakes with this type of backing.

Also must say looks really nice to the front.

I would welcome an image of the same design spoken off.

These things are Hens teeth so I started post with the word Fake

I am sure that this will rattle on for some time I have had many face to face opinions over the years and opinions differ

May be a early Fake from late 60’s 70’s or even produced for veterans ?

Regards
Stephen

Last edited by yorkstone; 19-04-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 19-04-20, 08:57 PM

Definite fake - sorry but will not disclose how I can be so emphatic - please excuse me, but we are best keeping some knowledge to ourselves to stop fakes.
All the best
Mike

Having posted the above - I want to be helpful so add this which is an example of the standard insignia
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30060234
Variants are highly unlikely given the diminutive size of the unit

Last edited by Mike B; 19-04-20 at 09:08 PM.
Old 19-04-20, 11:42 PM

Cool 101 troop

[QUOTE=Mike B;507106]Definite fake - sorry but will not disclose how I can be so emphatic - please excuse me, but we are best keeping some knowledge to ourselves to stop fakes.
All the best
Mike

Absolutely correct IMO, the less fakers know the better, SF items are changing hands online for vast sums, mostly fakes.

Rob
Old 20-04-20, 12:18 PM

Following pm conversations it is believed that it is a1970’s made item some 40 plus years old hence the quality.

I would like to see other variants in members collections in particular similar backed items.

Regards to all

Stephen
Old 20-04-20, 02:39 PM

This thread may be of interest https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...Commando+troop
Old 21-04-20, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
A well known ebay seller, could you narrow the field?
Never name or shame the baddies because it's bad for the baddies.
Old 21-04-20, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Definite fake - sorry but will not disclose how I can be so emphatic - please excuse me, but we are best keeping some knowledge to ourselves to stop fakes.
All the best
Mike

Having posted the above - I want to be helpful so add this which is an example of the standard insignia
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30060234
Variants are highly unlikely given the diminutive size of the unit
Fakes have been around for hundred's of years including for the lifetime of this forum and many others so my suggestion is that your suggestion doesn't work.
Old 21-04-20, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=Sonofacqms;507123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
All the best
Mike

Absolutely correct IMO, the less fakers know the better, SF items are changing hands online for vast sums, mostly fakes.

Rob
This is me laughing
There is no definitive evidence on these badges of what is genuine and what is not. Your opinions are not definitive.
People who fake items are able to buy genuine items so I don't think they rely on what is said on this forum or anywhere else.
The reality is is that there will always be people who will be duped into buying fakes. You and your opinions are not saving these idiots from this fate.
Old 21-04-20, 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=lifeochil;507227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
This is me laughing
There is no definitive evidence on these badges of what is genuine and what is not. Your opinions are not definitive.
People who fake items are able to buy genuine items so I don't think they rely on what is said on this forum or anywhere else.
The reality is is that there will always be people who will be duped into buying fakes. You and your opinions are not saving these idiots from this fate.
lifeochil - interesting view ... not sure I agree with lack of evidence as to what is fake or not. True in some cases, but certainly not all.
I think research is the key and adhering to the maxim 'if in doubt leave it out' Another Maxim 'A man's opinion is only as good as his information' applies, and of course a third mantra 'Research, research, research' - only an idiot would enter this field of collecting in a serious manner and spend the type of funds required without doing a long, long, long, apprenticeship. Of course there will be those who are caught out and the best any forum or publication can do is to provide as 'authoritative' guidance as possible - Mike
Old 21-04-20, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
Never name or shame the baddies because it's bad for the baddies.
Very true. If they are pinged they change their ID and modus operandi and make a better fake...
Old 21-04-20, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontecagnano View Post
Very true. If they are pinged they change their ID and modus operandi and make a better fake...
Not in my experience but there you go.