British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-08, 08:32 AM

Default CSC Sweetheart

Larry,

I firmly believe this badge to be a sweetheart badge. Although it differs in the metal/colour, it is exactly the same size as other CSC sweethearts and seems to be made from the same dies as some examples. A comparison with these show the same 'web' in the extreme leaves as well as between the letters and the beaver area, the same crown join as well as the same 'heaviness' to the design just to name a few areas. (shown are variations #2 and #3 from RCSigs.ca CSC Sweethearts. Other examples shown feature a different and finer design.)

As you've said, it's not a cap and there is absolutely no evidence that it's a collar. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. In my mind there is no doubt that this is a sweetheart badge but it remains a mystery as to why it wasn't gilded or enameled.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweetheart_csc_3_fs.jpg (14.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg sweetheart_csc_2_fs.jpg (14.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-07-08, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbear View Post
There is no evidence of this large hat badge being worn prior to 1914 but the smaller squat version was and carried over into the cef period
Paulbear, perhaps here (from an eBay auction (250262875276)) is evidence of the large CSC badge being worn prior to 1914. The photo postcard shows a "Colonial Coronation in Contingent Camp" and would date from 1911 and King George V's coronation. One, and possibly a second, member features the large CSC cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coronationpc.jpg (86.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg coronationpc2.jpg (39.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg coronationpc6.jpg (52.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 15-12-11, 09:01 PM

First World War Canadian Signals cap badge on eBay.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 17-12-11, 12:54 AM

Default CSC badges

Our "friend" Banned Guest dishonours the memory of Joe Harper by accusing him of shoddy research. I echo Service Publication's sentiments expressed above; Joe was a diligent and meticulous researcher. BTW, why are we letting someone who was banned from this forum use the forum to continue to make his toxic remarks?
Old 17-12-11, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Wyn, The comments are over 3 years old. He isn't active here.
Old 17-12-11, 06:31 AM

At the risk of flogging a dead horse - it is easy to sit back and slag a reference, but if it is not backed up with solid, documented, arguments the it has no value and should be treated for what it is worth.
Joe Harper did what few collectors have done - gone to the source material. Fortunately, this is changing and the moderator is a good example of this 'new' approach, as are a number of other collectors on this forum. Once we get past the 'expertise' of militaria show experts and accept serious research we will have a proper basis for comments.
Clive
Old 29-04-13, 02:44 PM

Default Canadian Signal Corps badges.

Dear Friends.

This Thread was started back in 2008 and it showed a number of Canadian Signal Corps badges and the price they were being sold for at the time.

If anybody is interested take a look at ebay item number 360641059035.

This was sold on ebay on the 27th April 2013 with 26 bids and went for £400 not dollars!!!!!!!!

What recession !!!!!! And no I was not the purchaser.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk

Last edited by Bill A; 29-04-13 at 03:20 PM. Reason: livened link
Old 30-04-13, 01:22 PM

Well... it is a quality badge.. hard to find.... 1 marker bid and then 3 serious bidders after that with the winner scooping it at the end... As I have one I'd like to see the price hold up but I'm not holding my hopes that high...
Old 30-04-13, 09:07 PM

That was my marker bid....I have three of these now plus the small version ....yes lets hope the prices stay like this !
Old 14-02-14, 10:00 AM

Default Canadian Signal Corps

Dear Friends

Having made a comment on the sale of an Officers CSC badge back in 2013 there seems to be another up for sale on ebay item 131116758571.

This version has the Versutus part of the enamel coloured in red and the bits either side in blue. The reverse has a pin fixing no lugs.

Surely this is a sweetheart badge not a genuine Officers badge.

Having said that there are thirteen bidders so far and the price at the moment is $360.

RC Sigs who has three is doing very well apparently.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk

Tags
canadian signals