British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-09, 09:19 PM

Default Extent of W/M in RM Police badges etc

I have what I think is W/M KC RM Police cap badge + now have O/R & Officer W/M Shoulder Titles (all pictured in other threads) I have W/M RMP button hole fixing badges which I thought were their collar/lapel badges but which someone described in another thread as being for wear in civilian clothes. I wonder if anyone can tell me the following on RM Police please: The exact years of their existence - whether the button fixing badge (laurel with RMP under) was for uniform or not - and whether they had W/M buttons, officers split cap badges, belt buckles and/or helmet plates. Yours Aye -- Ray
Old 02-01-09, 03:01 PM

Hi Ray,
The Royal Marines Police was created in October 1922 and was disbanded in October 1949.
A Royal Marines Police Constable wore in his cap a white metal capbadge which was just a globe and laurel, they did not have a crown and lion above.
They did not wear collar badges but white metal numbers in their collars and their first buttons were black bakerlite with RMP embossed on the front.
Later the button was replaced with a white metal button with a crown above a fouled anchor.
Their shoulder titles were a large RMP in white metal and they also wore in civillian cloths a small white metal lapel badge which I covered in a earlier post.
A Royal Marines Police Officer wore in his cap a white metal capbadge made in two parts which was just a globe and laurel they did not have a crown with a lion above.
Their shoulder titles was a small RMP and I have been told but have never seen one their buttons were more ornate in finish.
But they never wore helmet plates or belt buckles in white metal like the regular corp.
The all in one capbadge with a crown above in white metal have been around
for a while claiming to be Royal Marines Police.
But there are none displayed at the Royal Marines Museum which has a vast collection of Royal Marines head-dress badges.
Also the Royal Marines Police above guarded dockyards and naval air stations etc and should not be confused with Royal Marines Provost which policed the
regular Royal Marines
John
Old 02-01-09, 07:28 PM

Default Thanks so very much

John - Albeit that you have shattered my dillusions and left me with gaps that I am unlikely to be able to fill, I am really grateful for the depth of information you have supplied. Will have to start hunting for the w/m globe and laurel cap badge now. Yours Aye -- Ray
Old 02-01-09, 09:27 PM

Default Couldn't be - could it

Alan - digging in my spares box I came up with a white metal globe & laurel of cap badge size. I had presumed it was one of these nickel copy badges that seem to abound. Have attached pics against a collar for size reference. Could this be RMP cap or is my original assumption likely to be the truth? - Yours Aye -- Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMP Cap.jpg (34.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-01-09, 04:27 PM

Hi Ray,
This is a Royal Marines Police Constable cap-badge in white metal.
John
Old 03-01-09, 05:12 PM

This is a Royal Marines Police Officers cap-badge in white metal.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Marines Police Officer Cap-badge.JPG (84.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0521.jpg (56.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-01-09, 06:27 PM

Default Thanks

Cheers John - Mine is definitely a gash copy when compared to the real thing, but I suppose I have something of a representation when I mount the display. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Yours Aye - Ray