British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-15, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Another theory, I have a small GVR R.E. badge in cast brass on a slider that when it was discussed on the forum a few years back, it was said that it could have been made up by a military family for a replica uniform to be worn by a son. Could these badges be, possibly the same ????
Just a theory.
Ceretainly not in the case of the Manchester Regiment. Plenty of photos of it being worn by officers.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-06-15, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Ceretainly not in the case of the Manchester Regiment. Plenty of photos of it being worn by officers.

regards
Likewise with the Irish Guards and Royal Munster Fusiliers. In the case of the Irish Guards the smaller star has continued in use on the service dress cap to this day.

Both these examples also debunk the thought that smaller service dress badges were an attempt to reduce conspicuousness on the battle field. Even if the relatively small difference in size made a difference in action moving from a subdued badge to a bright badge (you can tell from the B&W photos of the Munsters that these badges were polished) arguably goes in the opposite direction.

Perhaps the move to smaller badges was just a fashionable trend...

John
Old 04-06-15, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
This is a nice looking badge Andy. Any one have photographic evidence of this badge being worn.

I have never seen one befor and will have to look much closer and try and add one to my Cavalry collection.

Regards

Stephen
Hi Stephen

Just a thought - why would you want to add a Tank Corps badge to your Cavalry collection?

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 04-06-15, 06:52 PM

An old picture 1992? bovington, cap badges and the 2 sizes of collar.

Last edited by magpie; 21-08-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 07:29 AM

Gordon

Why not I was 4th/7th RDG we were all part of the armourd corps were we not?
Though my regiments history goes back hundreds of years erlier than the Tank corp.

Regards

Stephen
Old 07-06-15, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I can't find the original thread which brought up bi-metal RTR badges but it is RTC/RTR cap badge related - there is an officers ceremonial dress badge on display with a hackle at Bovington which is full size but bi metal.

This bi-metal badge is not recorded in any reference book that i know of but exists and has Tank Museum endorsement. Half size cap badges are therefore not impossible.
Old 09-06-15, 07:45 AM

Hi Andy, I believe it is a J&Co collar badge design. I have one attributed to being worn by an officer in the 5th Bn Tank Corps who reputedly wore collars as caps. Mine has replacement lugs, but hard to tell what they replaced. Mike
Old 09-06-15, 09:01 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I can't find the original thread which brought up bi-metal RTR badges but it is RTC/RTR cap badge related - there is an officers ceremonial dress badge on display with a hackle at Bovington which is full size but bi metal.

This bi-metal badge is not recorded in any reference book that i know of but exists and has Tank Museum endorsement. Half size cap badges are therefore not impossible.
Museum Endorsement is not always an indication that an item is original, I tend to go with the theory that the Bim badges are "Fantasy" items.

Andy
Old 09-06-15, 01:00 PM

That is very true indeed, with the amount of dross on display in certain museums these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Museum Endorsement is not always an indication that an item is original, I tend to go with the theory that the Bim badges are "Fantasy" items.

Andy
Old 09-06-15, 01:06 PM

Hello Andy,
I never cease to be amazed that so many lessons that had to be learned the hard way in South Africa just a few years before had not been committed to memory, a subaltern on the veldt, with any sense whatsoever, soon ditched the sam brown and sword and took up a rifle and bandolier instead.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Rob,
He probably based his theory on fantasy rather than fact? As I mentioned above, you could spot a WW1 officer from miles away, just by the cut of his cloth and the equipment he would have worn, there would have very little point in reducing the size of his cap badge by a few millimetres?

I think he may have spun you a Tall Tale!

Best Regards

Andy