British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-21, 02:01 PM

Default Medal ribbon Id please

This I a postcard of a thrice wounded RE warrant officer,and his lady. I presume this chap is a pre war regular, because he is wearing a Mons star and bar trio, but what is the first medal ribbon? Something pre war colonial I think.
Billyh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210624_204939_753~2.jpg (42.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210624_205015_365~2.jpg (39.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 25-06-21, 04:50 PM

Possibly India General Service Medal 1908

Paul
Old 25-06-21, 06:56 PM

Possibly DCM.
Old 25-06-21, 07:01 PM

Possibly a DCM. Old photographic images are notoriously difficult to make sense of.
Old 25-06-21, 07:07 PM

We know what it is not. Photo post-dates 1918, probably post-dates 1919 [promulgation/ issue WM and VM] by which time VC had to have [should have had] a miniature VC attached to distinguish it from several other similar ribbons.

I would like to think it DCM but in ortho film that ribbon usually shows colour contrast.

Try the GWF ..... there is a spectrum of ribbon-aware members.
Old 25-06-21, 07:08 PM

I did consider the IGS and the DCM, but the former is green with broad ( I think black) central stripe, and the latter red with dark blue central stripe.
Billyh
Old 25-06-21, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
I did consider the IGS and the DCM, but the former is green with broad ( I think black) central stripe, and the latter red with dark blue central stripe.
Billyh
I thought DCM because the centre part of the ribbon appears darker than the rest.
Old 25-06-21, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I thought DCM because the centre part of the ribbon appears darker than the rest.
I don't see that.

The ribbon is in the senior position, thus either older campaign than 1914, or "gallantry" in a general sense.

Any O R could qualify for DCM. Likewise MM [clearly not that]. Any WO could qualify MC [complicated rules] Clearly not that.

One loose cannon is LS & GC .............. one needs an expert for when edging was intro, and where it was to be worn.
Old 26-06-21, 03:51 PM

Having consulted my medal year book,now I've found it, there seem to be four possibilities. 1&2 LSGC Indian(for Europeans) or regular army British, both of which had a crimson ribbon up until mid ww1 when white border's were introduced, or 2&4 Meritorious Service Medal, again Indian or British which also had a crimson ribbon up to about the same time period when they had white borders added. I can't find any plain campaign ribbons. If it's any of those medals though, it's been mounted in the wrong order of presidence because it should be the last medal closest to his left shoulder after his war medals. I would have thought the tailor would know that & the WO.
Billyh
Old 26-06-21, 04:25 PM

I think it is a D.C.M., 1914 Star and clasp, B.W.M., Victory Medal. He was very likely a regular soldier with service before and after the Great War.

The photograph was taken in Lewisham, S.E. London, which is very likely to be his home town. A search of the London Gazette using Lewisham as the word and 31/081914 and 31/12.1920 as your date parameters should find the right candidate. There may be several D.C.M. winners from Lewisham but his 1914 Star and Clasp should help to narrow the field.
Old 26-06-21, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I don't see that.

The ribbon is in the senior position, thus either older campaign than 1914, or "gallantry" in a general sense.

Any O R could qualify for DCM. Likewise MM [clearly not that]. Any WO could qualify MC [complicated rules] Clearly not that.

One loose cannon is LS & GC .............. one needs an expert for when edging was intro, and where it was to be worn.
His promotion to W.O. could well have been helped by his having a D.C.M., he may not have been a W.O. when the medal was awarded.
Old 26-06-21, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
His promotion to W.O. could well have been helped by his having a D.C.M., he may not have been a W.O. when the medal was awarded.
Looking at guaranteed DCM ribbons [Frank Richards DCM MM RWF for example] I can always see a paler centre stripe on ortho film.
There is the merest hint on the subject portrait, which might easily be curvature of silk catching the light.

Yes the DCM is the most likely but it is far from certain.

As for awarding the DCM to a substantive WO when the rules allowed for an MC, that is an interesting point, I have never seen research on the matter. The award of MM versus MC to a WO was a very complicated area, with the DCM lurking as a possibility.

A good project for a young enquiring mind ........... "did substantive WOs I or II get DCMs when serving as such?"
Old 26-06-21, 05:29 PM

A strong contender. D.C.M. London Gazette 20th October 1918. I do not know if he made it to the Rank of W.O. after 1918.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spain.jpg (28.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Spain 002.jpg (75.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 26-06-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 26-06-21, 05:52 PM

I see what you mean about a hint of stripe to the centre ribbon Grumpy. Assuming it is a DCM, I don't think it is the chap whose details you give highwood, as he is 2 DG, and the subject is Royal Engineer's. On the actual card you can see his RE title.
Billyh
Old 26-06-21, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
I see what you mean about a hint of stripe to the centre ribbon Grumpy. Assuming it is a DCM, I don't think it is the chap whose details you give highwood, as he is 2 DG, and the subject is Royal Engineer's. On the actual card you can see his RE title.
Billyh
No problem, there are over 450 references to Lewisham in the London Gazette between 31st October 1914 and 31st December 1918. I haven't checked them all as life is too short, I was just showing you what you need to do if you want to identify the solder.

The problem is of course compounded, if he had recently married a girl from Lewisham but actually came from Catford.